Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Knit an Octopus
How to Knit an Octopus
I said I'd post some process photos of knitting an octopus so here they are:

Tentacles - the blue needles are only there to lay it out flatter for the photo, otherwise the sides curl in. Knit seven more.
[Image: photo1_zps6b611fab.jpg]

Sewing the pipe cleaners into the tentacles.
[Image: photo2_zpsf81f2785.jpg]

Knitting the upper connector ring of the tentacles - the part that gets sewn to the head (the top-base). The bottom-base is knitted the same way only instead of just knitting 3 rows, you do a bunch of decreases so it covers the pipe cleaners.
[Image: photo3_zpsbafd43a7.jpg]

The tentacles all knitted together and the pipe cleaners wadded up in the top-base.
[Image: photo4_zps15fd4269.jpg]

Knitting up the head - done in the round on five needles.
[Image: photo11_zps7c59b471.jpg]

Hand-painting the eyes.
[Image: photo31_zps9ff37622.jpg]

Putting in the eyes and stuffing the head.
[Image: photo41_zpse8ef8c95.jpg]

Sewing the head and the tentacles together.
[Image: photo5_zpsfa26e6eb.jpg]

The Finished Product!!!
[Image: photo32_zps6d36c8ea.jpg]
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
RE: How to Knit an Octopus
Very clever! Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
He's cute!
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Aaaaw! It's adorable! Heart
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Ok, I love this. I've always wanted to learn how to knit!
Is there a way to do this with crochet needles?

And can you give more detailed instructions
(January 1, 2014 at 8:16 pm)ElleBelle Wrote: Ok, I love this. I've always wanted to learn how to knit!

Checking out knittinghelp.com <-- This link will take you to the Videos page on their website. If you want more options for videos or want to learn other/advanced techniques hover over the Free Videos tab at the top and links will appear under the tabs where you can select the kinds of things you want to learn (cast on techniques, bind off techniques, increases, decreases, etc...). There are also videos on how to fix your mistakes. Smile

This website is invaluable in learning how to knit, it's basically how I learned.

(January 1, 2014 at 8:18 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Is there a way to do this with crochet needles?

Probably not this exact pattern. Most amigurumi animals like this are made by crocheting. I'm a knitter, not a crocheter so finding little animals as cute as this to knit is a major score.

If you want to look up crochet patterns you could go make an account at Ravelry.com which is basically a website for knitters and crocheters to post their projects and share patterns. I'm reasonably sure you'd be able to find a free crochet pattern for an octopus on that site.

Quote:And can you give more detailed instructions

You can purchase the book that contains this pattern for more detailed instructions:
Amigurumi Knits: Patterns for 20 Cute Mini Knits by Hansi Singh
[Image: Screenshot2014-01-01at175742_zpsc9061e0d.png]

On Ravelry.com you can look up the angler fish pattern on the cover here and see how other knitters have fitted an LED light into the end of the fish's lure - they tell you exactly what materials you need to buy, how to wire the light together and everything.

Seeing as how the octopus, and all the patterns in this book are copyrighted, though, I probably shouldn't share it. Smile
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(January 1, 2014 at 10:04 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote:
(January 1, 2014 at 8:16 pm)ElleBelle Wrote: Ok, I love this. I've always wanted to learn how to knit!

Checking out knittinghelp.com <-- This link will take you to the Videos page on their website. If you want more options for videos or want to learn other/advanced techniques hover over the Free Videos tab at the top and links will appear under the tabs where you can select the kinds of things you want to learn (cast on techniques, bind off techniques, increases, decreases, etc...). There are also videos on how to fix your mistakes. Smile

This website is invaluable in learning how to knit, it's basically how I learned.

(January 1, 2014 at 8:18 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Is there a way to do this with crochet needles?

Probably not this exact pattern. Most amigurumi animals like this are made by crocheting. I'm a knitter, not a crocheter so finding little animals as cute as this to knit is a major score.

If you want to look up crochet patterns you could go make an account at Ravelry.com which is basically a website for knitters and crocheters to post their projects and share patterns. I'm reasonably sure you'd be able to find a free crochet pattern for an octopus on that site.

Quote:And can you give more detailed instructions

You can purchase the book that contains this pattern for more detailed instructions:
Amigurumi Knits: Patterns for 20 Cute Mini Knits by Hansi Singh
[Image: Screenshot2014-01-01at175742_zpsc9061e0d.png]

On Ravelry.com you can look up the angler fish pattern on the cover here and see how other knitters have fitted an LED light into the end of the fish's lure - they tell you exactly what materials you need to buy, how to wire the light together and everything.

Seeing as how the octopus, and all the patterns in this book are copyrighted, though, I probably shouldn't share it. Smile

Thank you so much I'll check it out
Thanks for the link. I have to check it out. I'd love to be able to make things for my daughter like that.
I'd totally do this if I could knit.