Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your dream invention?
Your dream invention?
I'm obsessed with electrical wires. I HATE them. Every time I walk down the street, I can't help but notice them cluttering up the sky. Burying them is an option, but the problem remains: they are THERE. Not only that, but so much energy gets lost from point A to point Z. I hate thinking about the waste... and the maintenance of keeping all of those wires intact.

I like to imagine a world where we live without wires. I like to wonder what we could do to create a world where we can get energy from point A to point Z without the middleman. So if I had a dream invention, it would be a mini-wormhole for the transport of electricity! (Er... I can only imagine what horrible things people could use these little things to do, but good uses are still fun to think about!)

What's your dream invention?
RE: Your dream invention?
I'd have to think about this one. What I will say, somewhat tangentially, is that I miss Concorde. It's sad to me that SST (Supersonic Transports) are not more feasable. Economy, noise regulations, cost. I'd love to see Boeing (my uncle's employer) resurrect that 2707 SST concept they had in, what, the 80's? But probably not in my lifetime.

So, OK, yeah. To make this relevant, invent some sort of noise abatement mechanism so SSTs can be more legally viable.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
My dream invention would have to be time machine or teleportation device.

But if we're talking about something somewhat feasible, it would be a way to regenerate brain cells. Or cure all neurodegenerative diseases. Old age and alzheimers scare me. The latter runs in my family.
An alarm clock robot that once set, will then get up and hide itself somewhere in your room, meaning you've got to get up and deal with it, and 2am Stue can't go "boy, I'd like an extra 2 hours sleep, ill just change my alarm setting and let morning Stue deal with the consequences"
Nemo me impune lacessit.
Imagine it... a B&W LCD covering the car's windshield. A camera measuring the light intensity from the front. The LCD darkens accordingly to keep the driver from being disturbed by bright lights or the Sun.
Some calibration to each particular driver may be required... but I think it's worth it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing. Annik 49 18188 May 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda