Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subjectivism and the divine
Subjectivism and the divine
I was discussing religion with my girl and her sister today (they are mildly catholic), and the conclusion was that everything you believe in is completely subjective.

It all boils down to "you make up the god you like"; some do it using past religions as starting points, some just make up their own shit.

Some just prefer not to make up anything just for integrity's sake.

Yet even after this discussion they still believe in the same things they believed in before. As if reason didn't really matter as long as they liked their delusion. I'm so sad about it...
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
RE: Subjectivism and the divine
You mean they agreed with you that god is made up?
RE: Subjectivism and the divine
(January 5, 2014 at 9:17 pm)oukoida Wrote: I was discussing religion with my girl and her sister today (they are mildly catholic), and the conclusion was that everything you believe in is completely subjective.

It all boils down to "you make up the god you like"; some do it using past religions as starting points, some just make up their own shit.

Some just prefer not to make up anything just for integrity's sake.

Yet even after this discussion they still believe in the same things they believed in before. As if reason didn't really matter as long as they liked their delusion. I'm so sad about it...

That's self-refuting. It would then follow that the belief "everything you believe is true is subjective" is just a subjective truth. Of course, parsing 'truth' into subjective and objective is an odd move. "True for you, but not for me" is not a proper application of the concept of 'truth' as I think I understand the views on it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  divine logic? ignoramus 30 6130 June 26, 2015 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Experiencing the Divine KnockEmOuttt 31 11037 August 14, 2012 at 4:10 am
Last Post: pgrimes15
  how the divine pen of N crushed the international atheists ftbullies 40 14511 August 1, 2012 at 12:14 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  St. John The Divine's private parking Rokcet Scientist 8 2868 March 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  3 minutes of divine totalitarianism Rokcet Scientist 7 3315 January 25, 2012 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Cosmic Ape