Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 11:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The fossil record is the claim not the evidence
The fossil record is the claim not the evidence
That is utter bullshit. The fossil record is a physical phenomena, and in the early 19th century and the advent of large scale mining fossils began to be discovered and shown to scientists that understood the scienitific method. At the time scientists had no adequate means of explaining this curiousities, and thus evolution was developed partly to explain the fossil record. Now the reason the fossil is evidence of the fossil is this. After the discovery of Mendelian Genetic evolution was better understand and inheritance mechanisms became clearer. Because of that clearer understanding scientists were able to use the theory of evolution to predict when fish first emerged for the water to breathe air (late devonian) And then traveled to ellesmere island to find rocks of the apporpiate age and after three years they found tiktaalik
http://tiktaalik.uchicago.edu/
The reason the fossil record is evidence of evolution is because evolution has made accurate prediction about how the fossil record would behave.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: The fossil record is the claim not the evidence
Ah, you're making the key mistake of thinking this new canard is something other than a petty, desperate attack from someone who fully realizes their own position is based on nothing, and so is left with only attacking the credibility of the opposite position, as though two people having untenable positions somehow makes his correct by default. Wink

But it also puts us in a strange position, if we take it to be true, where claims aren't evidence, and physical evidence isn't evidence... so what do we possibly have left to take as evidence for claims?

The subtext is, "Now nothing can be verified, I must be right."
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(January 7, 2014 at 2:53 am)Esquilax Wrote: Ah, you're making the key mistake of thinking this new canard is something other than a petty, desperate attack from someone who fully realizes their own position is based on nothing, and so is left with only attacking the credibility of the opposite position, as though two people having untenable positions somehow makes his correct by default. Wink

But it also puts us in a strange position, if we take it to be true, where claims aren't evidence, and physical evidence isn't evidence... so what do we possibly have left to take as evidence for claims?

And here I just got mad and took it as another round of bullshit from creationists. Thank you for pointing out the whole thing is based on a argument from ingorance, like all creationism.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(January 7, 2014 at 2:53 am)Esquilax Wrote: Ah, you're making the key mistake of thinking this new canard is something other than a petty, desperate attack from someone who fully realizes their own position is based on nothing, and so is left with only attacking the credibility of the opposite position, as though two people having untenable positions somehow makes his correct by default. Wink

Posts like this are why your on my Sig Angel Cloud
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

"The fossil record is the claim not the evidence"

Which of the dickheads said that?
*giggles, points at someone whose name rhymes with footers
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(January 7, 2014 at 7:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote: "The fossil record is the claim not the evidence"

Which of the dickheads said that?

That's a great question, because it's the sort of stupid shit any of them would have come up with. In this case, it's in Wooters' signature. I just can't tell if that's just what happens when his brain cells create random friction or if he's implying that fossils are manmade.
Would have been my 3d or 4th choice, actually.

Something that stupid is Waldork or G-C class.....or maybe Drippy.
(January 7, 2014 at 7:53 pm)victor4128 Wrote:

Posts like this are why your on my Sig Angel Cloud

I went to rep you because.. your sig. Esquilax is also my hero Heart
Oh and Stephen Colbert. And Ryantology. And your avatar. But alas I was your first rep ever. Guess you'll just have to put up with a high five in the face, bunny style Big Grin
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
I saw the post where Chad originally shat it out of his brain. I think my eyes were so full of brown in that moment that I had to step away to cleanse them.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6443 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4075 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If theists understood "evidence" Foxaèr 135 13411 October 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2892 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3707 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9594 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 48919 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 6420 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Someone, Show me Evidence of God. ScienceAf 85 11508 September 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Please give me evidence for God. Socratic Meth Head 142 21690 March 23, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: robvalue