Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Teacher's Lounge
The Teacher's Lounge
I searched and couldn't find a thread like this, so my apologies if there already is a thread like this.

I'm a third year teacher, and I already have enough insane and crazy stories of kids to fill a book. I was just wondering how many fellow insane asylum bunk mates I can look forward to in the future that are actually on this forum.

I thought this would be a good place to swap stories and tips and what not, and have a couple laughs at kids. Because let's be honest, we love laughing at our kids Big Grin

So come on in to the lounge, pull up a chair from 1986, buy an overpriced coke, and slowly pull your hair out.

(If I seem extra bonkers, I teach middle school, so don't judge me.)
RE: The Teacher's Lounge
Wouldn't have your job for quids. Bad enough trying to educate my two let alone a whole class room full of them!

Much kudos. Great
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 7, 2014 at 10:32 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Wouldn't have your job for quids. Bad enough trying to educate my two let alone a whole class room full of them!

Much kudos. Great

Kudos to you! I thought about homeschooling mine when they are of age, but then I knew I must have lost my mind. I know people give homeschooling a lot of crap, but I had a 6th grade English teacher ask me how to spell the word "tomorrow".

Consoling
I teach adults; they're a crazier bunch than prepubescent kids.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(January 7, 2014 at 11:32 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: I teach adults; they're a crazier bunch than prepubescent kids.

Oh man. I've had a round of community college myself. My heart breaks for you.
Thought you might like this one

http://momastery.com/blog/2014/01/30/share-schools/
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I, like Bad Writer, am a military instructor. I concur with his statement. The "adults" that I teach are very much like children, and the amount of gall that some them have to utter some of the things they say continues to astound me. It doesn't usually take me more than day 3 to make them all very cautious about saying things that they can't substantiate. I find the Socratic method of merely asking questions to be profoundly effective with such pretenders of knowledge!
I'm a student, I hate you all...

j/k, I landed some pretty good professors this semester, I don't envy your jobs.
I teach the same age group as you Elle, but not the hearing impaired. I like them as people but I grow weary of our administrative overlords. Retirement is near and I won't look back.
(February 1, 2014 at 1:14 am)The Reality Salesman Wrote: I, like Bad Writer, am a military instructor. I concur with his statement. The "adults" that I teach are very much like children, and the amount of gall that some them have to utter some of the things they say continues to astound me. It doesn't usually take me more than day 3 to make them all very cautious about saying things that they can't substantiate. I find the Socratic method of merely asking questions to be profoundly effective with such pretenders of knowledge!

I did one semester of ASL at a community college as an adjunct professor. I have to admit, I ran back screaming to my little hormonal crew everyday after my evening classes of "adults." I felt like with my college class, they weren't as open to learning, as many of them felt they already knew everything. I would rather put up with lunchroom arguments and telling kids to sit down please.

(February 1, 2014 at 2:16 am)whateverist Wrote: I teach the same age group as you Elle, but not the hearing impaired. I like them as people but I grow weary of our administrative overlords. Retirement is near and I won't look back.

If anything annoys me about my job, it would definitely be more the adults that I work with rather than my little mongrels. We did receive a new principal this year, and he's actually very good at his job. One of the assistant principals we have is wonderful as well. I guess I lucked out with admin at my school this year.

Cheers on your retirement. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Teacher Appreciation Day! (2018!) Cecelia 8 951 May 9, 2018 at 12:30 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Happy World Teacher Day! Cecelia 5 731 October 5, 2017 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  I am going to be a teacher for a day Duke Guilmon 28 4302 April 29, 2014 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Duke Guilmon
  Random Teacher Tangent festive1 5 1441 March 8, 2014 at 12:37 am
Last Post: ShaMan
  Kid accidentally packs beer in lunchbox, tells teacher, gets punished anyway Napoléon 11 2814 February 27, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Jury finds for Cincinnati teacher fired from Catholic school while pregnant Big Blue Sky 43 12262 June 6, 2013 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My 7 year old son schools teacher and class on evolution Erinome 31 13346 March 23, 2012 at 12:35 am
Last Post: Cyberman