Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct use of the word "Myth"
Correct use of the word "Myth"
Myth, when we're talking about religion, has a slightly different but important definition from the mainstream one.

myth
noun
a traditional story, esp. one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.

Basically, the word myth in the sense we're commonly using it in (the religious sense) has nothing to do with whether it's true or not.

For example:

If you titled a thread "Proof Noah's Ark is a Myth," that wouldn't really be correct. It's a myth whether it's true or not. What you would title it to use the word myth correctly would be to say "Proof the Noah's Ark Flood Myth is False."

As atheists, I assume you think all myths are false. That being said, let's act all intelligently like and use the language correctly. Big Grin

(This has been a TTT language educational post live from New Orleans)
IN SACULA SAECULORUM
RE: Correct use of the word "Myth"
I prefer 'bullshit' to 'myth' in this kind of situation, personally.
(January 8, 2014 at 9:50 pm)(╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: I prefer 'bullshit' to 'myth' in this kind of situation, personally.

But if you want to use myth, use it right is just I'm saying. Love that username though.
IN SACULA SAECULORUM

Thanks, mom. Is it okay if I give Johnny Peterson a blow job on our first date? I really like him. He's neato keen.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 8, 2014 at 9:53 pm)rasetsu Wrote:

Thanks, mom. Is it okay if I give Johnny Peterson a blow job on our first date? I really like him. He's neato keen.

I'm a man...
IN SACULA SAECULORUM
Quote:Basically, the word myth in the sense we're commonly using it in (the religious sense) has nothing to do with whether it's true or not.

It sure as fuck does when I use the word myth.

You know. It's a myth when some 'god' gets killed and comes back to life.

Like Tammuz.
(January 8, 2014 at 10:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Basically, the word myth in the sense we're commonly using it in (the religious sense) has nothing to do with whether it's true or not.

It sure as fuck does when I use the word myth.

You know. It's a myth when some 'god' gets killed and comes back to life.

Like Tammuz.

Well, that's not the sense many people are using. You're using it correctly in that specific situation.
IN SACULA SAECULORUM
[Image: atheism_is_myth_understood_bumper_sticke...vr_512.jpg]
I think this encapsulates my consideration of the proper use of myth bullshit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GTLM89pN0A
Usage of a word determines what the word means. Sure, myth, at one point, was used differently than it is nearly always used now. But that is a red herring as to what the word currently means in discourse.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Delicious tasty word Salad. Mystic 41 7111 January 27, 2018 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 44861 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Personification in Greek Myth Tea Earl Grey Hot 35 6522 March 30, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religious expressions in everyday use ukatheist 28 2946 December 3, 2016 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Casca
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 6453 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  The God Word Complidudaaldo 21 2832 July 13, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Sheed1980
  The Myth of Infallibility Skeptimus Signus 45 4912 April 30, 2016 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Evolution of a Myth Mudhammam 10 2821 March 27, 2016 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  A question about the flood myth, baraminology, and Pangaea RobbyPants 153 18661 February 29, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  An Old Idea I Had About The (Hebrew) Word "Adam" (relates to Quran also) ReptilianPeon 1 1453 February 5, 2016 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd