Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any Level 1's here?
Are there any Level 1's here?
If you are not familar with the Dawkins scale spectrum of theistic probability, here it is.

Quote:1 Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung: "I do not believe, I know."
2. De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. "I don't know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."
3. Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."
4. Completely impartial. Exactly 50 per cent. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."
5. Leaning towards Agnosticism. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."
6. De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one."

The question I wanted to ask if there is anybody here who would consider themselves being level 1 on the Dawkins scale and explain why they would state "I do not believe, I know".
undefined
RE: Are there any Level 1's here?

Only my hairdresser knows for sure.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 10, 2014 at 2:38 am)Justtristo Wrote: If you are not familar with the Dawkins scale spectrum of theistic probability, here it is.

Quote:1 Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung: "I do not believe, I know."
2. De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. "I don't know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."
3. Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."
4. Completely impartial. Exactly 50 per cent. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."
5. Leaning towards Agnosticism. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."
6. De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one."

The question I wanted to ask if there is anybody here who would consider themselves being level 1 on the Dawkins scale and explain why they would state "I do not believe, I know".
Somebody go find waldork I think he qualifies.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(January 10, 2014 at 2:38 am)Justtristo Wrote: If you are not familar with the Dawkins scale spectrum of theistic probability, here it is.

I'm one and will always be so. My personal relationship with Him has been extremely revealing. First comes faith, God leads us from that to belief and then to actual knowledge if we desire.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

The only thing your relationship with "Him" has revealed is that you have a head full of rocks.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Yeah, I don't think knowledge works that way. Starting off having faith that you're right and then 'deciding to believe' isn't a very reliable test for knowledge. Really, I don't think 'belief' should work that way either. I can't even imagine what it would be like to decide to 'believe' something without having reason -not incentive mind you- but a concrete reason for thinking it true apart from what you might wish. Of course Christianity has been a dominant enough force in the landscape for long enough as to warp the meaning of that word. Now the muscular, Christian sense of belief has a prominent place in the dictionary even if it makes no sense at all in the world of ideas.
And incidentally GC, knowledge is demonstrable, and you've repeatedly shown yourself unable/unwilling to demonstrate the existence of your god, so...

You've got an actual belief. I know it's kind of the hallmark of christianity, but let's not bastardize another word in service of bigging up a lie, shall we? Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(January 11, 2014 at 1:10 am)Godschild Wrote: I'm one and will always be so. My personal relationship with Him has been extremely revealing. First comes faith, God leads us from that to belief and then to actual knowledge if we desire.

GC

Then you do not understand the difference between belief and knowledge.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(January 11, 2014 at 1:10 am)Godschild Wrote:

I'm one and will always be so. My personal relationship with Him has been extremely revealing. First comes faith, God leads us from that to belief and then to actual knowledge if we desire.

GC

Yep - the champion asshole of all time comes through.
Level 1?....

DM: Roll to hit the goblin
ME: *roll* 16 Smile
DM: You miss
ME: Doh
DM: The goblin rolls.....*roll* 20
ME: Sad
DM: You take *roll* 14 points of damage, you're dead.
ME: [Image: epic_table_flip_by_metal_kitty-d5f1bv8.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3492 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  What is your specific level of Theism? ignoramus 26 3401 January 11, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Why do people on here act as if Islam if no worse than any other faith? Hoppingbunny 64 11055 April 24, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  I have some proof here that there's no afterlife gandy 18 6012 October 8, 2013 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Sword of Christ
  Is there any God that a theist rejects? The Reality Salesman01 32 6583 May 17, 2013 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic