Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ridicule
Question 
Ridicule
Under what circumstances is ridicule of a specific individual or a class of individuals acceptable? Let's say 'x' represents a specific person or a class of persons, when is it ok to mock and/or degenerate 'x'?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Ridicule
Idiots for being idiotic.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(January 11, 2014 at 1:04 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Idiots for being idiotic.
Ridicule is certainly appropriate when one believes Islam to be a race.
(January 11, 2014 at 1:05 am)MarxRaptor Wrote:
(January 11, 2014 at 1:04 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Idiots for being idiotic.
Ridicule is certainly appropriate when one believes Islam to be a race.

Or when one is stupid to harass a staffer on a forum without expecting the ban hammer.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Funny one this. I'm always curious about the reasons for ridicule. What is the subtext?

"you're so much dumber than me actually funny"?
"look at how much cleverer I am than this person"
"please, realise how wrong you are and adjust your view"

However I conceive of it it's hard to too believe that it represents a degree of insecurity on the part of the ridicule, a desire for onlookers to agree, perhaps, for fear of the same activity?

I'm aware I'm guilty of this as often as the next man, but it's not a good tactic in a debate. It reduces the chance that your opposite will change their view to match yours and often just leads to a flame war. I can think of a few times that this has happened with ditch and GC, a potentially interesting debate degenerates into "you're dumb," "No YOU'RE dumb".

Except Americans. It's OK to ridicule them. And will be until you stop calling it "football" and call it a more accurate name. "hand ovoid" or something Wink.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Also guilty at times and not at all proud of it. Perhaps it is a symptom of over-crowding. After several days of seeing almost no one on a trans-Sierras hike, I recall how interesting I found it to see and greet people as we got near the valley at the end. But that feeling wore off very quickly. Within an hours of getting food at a restaurant, we all had our noses in newspapers and magazines, curious about the larger world but already indifferent to the individuals all around us.
Some people deserve nothing better.
(January 11, 2014 at 5:24 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Except Americans. It's OK to ridicule them. And will be until you stop calling it "football" and call it a more accurate name. "hand ovoid" or something Wink.

The modern game arguably started in a pair of games between Harvard University and McGill University in 1874 as modified Rugby.
Since that game is named after a school, we could call it Harvard or McGill, or maybe CanAm Ball. Big Grin
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
I think if you used to be part of a group you kind of get more street cred in terms of mocking it. I'm thinking specifically about my former religion, Mormonism here. I and other Exmormon have a great time hating on it.
I suppose that as always, there is a difference between contempt and mockery of things or concepts, and ridicule of people.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code