Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-overlapping magisteria
Non-overlapping magisteria
I came across this idea in a book a while back, and was never very comfortable with it. For those that aren't familiar it is the idea that (to quote wikipedia): science and religion each have "a legitimate magisterium, or domain of teaching authority," and these two domains do not overlap.

I strongly disagree with it, for many reasons, including:

1) Religion does make claims about things that can and have been examined by science. Even ignoring all the Creationist style claims, many religions claim as to the efficacy of prayer, something that has been tested by science.

2) Where do you define the boundary?

3) Religion might claim to answer the "purpose of life" questions, or provide moral guidance, but they are just that - claims. Not only do they all disagree to various extents, but they can't come up with sufficient evidence to back up their claims.

4) If Science did find some evidence of a God, I doubt any Theist would object and say it wasn't valid as it was in the wrong magisterium.

I'm sure there are many more, although they are all essentially along the same lines.

Any thoughts?
RE: Non-overlapping magisteria
That was from Stephen Jay Gould. I agree with Gould that science can't determine everything (meaning, value) but when it comes to religion, the majority of them claim to begin not in the abstract but in the physical world where real people claim to witness an extraordinary event. So if we're dealing with physical entities, that is--people, brain states, events--why couldn't science investigate those claims?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Non-overlapping magisteria
Yep, that's right. IMHO it's all about trying to keep everyone happy.

I actually don't agree with the statement that science can't determine meaning and/or values. This doesn't mean I think it definitely can, but I think it has the potential to, given value/meaning are thoughts associated with a brain - which is a physical thing subject to physical laws.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1754 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Persistent Non-Symbolic Experiences Ahriman 0 533 August 18, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 659 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God as a non-creator Fake Messiah 13 1650 January 21, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7139 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13324 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Non Sequitur Minimalist 8 1543 August 20, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Deism vs Religion (Non-guidance vs guidance). Mystic 21 3842 March 1, 2016 at 2:18 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jesus the Jew, yet non-Jew Foxaèr 21 3543 January 19, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ? jenny1972 94 14031 November 17, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: drfuzzy