Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anorexia the disease
Anorexia the disease
So being that I'm currently talking about leading a healthy lifestyle, I thought I'd look into anorexia and try to understand it a bit better. I mean I don't know any anorexic people - I did know a couple of bulimic girls a number of years ago, but not anorexics. However, with that said, the notion of self-harm is not a foreign concept to me, and I've seen put themselves through all sorts of self-harm.

Resources.

This blog: Link is very informative. I haven't read too much of it yet, but it details a personal journey away from anorexia.

This video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEg30Qs9rrI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l1qfmnOmOE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QIhCtUgKfY

It was posted by Brian Kane, one of the guests on the show, on his youtube channel and you can see his other videos as he still struggles with anorexia. I think you'll agree he's a very funny guy!

What I've learned so far about anorexic people - usually they eat at the end of the day, privately/in secret. They will go through their whole day feeling hungry to feel a sense of accomplishment over the battle against hunger. They are usually very afraid of putting on any weight because a. it means they're no longer in control of their body and b. they're afraid of becoming fat - and even though it may be a long way off they're afraid that putting on any weight is a step in that direction.

Here's another Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXCgq7VRI9Y

These twins died in a fire in their apartment on 28/August/2012. But from the video above, I think it'd be obvious to anyone that they were extremely poisonous to each other - that is to say that they got negative-reinforcement from each other, constantly and daily. Interestingly enough they claim that they have never menstruated, meaning not only were they anorexic before puberty - but they actually were severely underweight at that time too! Not all anorexics are underweight, it depends on just how severe their illness is. An anorexic person could still consume enough food in their day to keep their body weight high.

Another interesting fact, and you won't find this on the first link because, well, it didn't happen to that girl, is that sometimes recovering anorexics literally cannot eat because of their illness. Eating can trigger involuntary vomiting. Suffers can cause so much damage to their internal organs that they are unable to properly digest meals. Here's someone this has happened to: Link
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Anorexia the disease
Some other stuff you might wanna look into:
http://www.somethingfishy.com support site
Wasted, written by Marya Hornbacher - memoir of a gal with an eating disorder
I'm glad the title clarified that we are talking about anorexia the disease, because people might have thought this was about anorexia the dessert topping.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 13, 2014 at 12:58 am)Faith No More Wrote: I'm glad the title clarified that we are talking about anorexia the disease, because people might have thought this was about anorexia the dessert topping.

Lol.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(January 13, 2014 at 12:58 am)Faith No More Wrote: I'm glad the title clarified that we are talking about anorexia the disease, because people might have thought this was about anorexia the dessert topping.
Well a lot of people don't really understand why it's a disease. For instance, I do not consider alcoholism a disease - I consider that an addiction (like any other drug addiction) - but there's no question in my mind that Anorexia Nervosa is a very, very serious mental illness that often results in death.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
My mom battled anorexia and bulimia for many years, in large part the result of my grandmother destroying her sense of self-worth as a female through her formative years by making it known to her often that she felt that my mother was inferior to her male siblings.

It's not really fundamentally different from alcoholism (which my mom also battled just as hard). She was just as addicted to making herself ghastly skinny as she was to beer.

Addictive tendencies are a form of mental illness.
(January 13, 2014 at 10:47 pm)(╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: She was just as addicted to making herself ghastly skinny as she was to beer.

Beer does not help to make you skinny. As I know to my cost.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yep, alcohol has a lot of calories.

@Ryantology - sorry to hear about your mum. There is a difference though, that difference being that substance abuse is not universally regarded as a disease among health professionals, whereas Anorexia Nervosa is.

Thoroughly insensitive clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp8SkppJ4hw

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have the courage to commit suicide in case if terminal disease? Macoleco 62 9465 April 18, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Prevent heart disease the fun way Rokcet Scientist 2 1013 March 20, 2012 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas