Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Proof = No Knowledge
No Proof = No Knowledge
Okay, so I've been seeing from GC, Lion IRC, etc. that they can't prove that god exists, they just "know".
Here's the definition of "know"
know

nō/Submit
verb
be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information.
"most people know that CFCs can damage the ozone layer"
synonyms: be aware, realize, be conscious, be informed; More

"be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information."

Now I know that the theists here are going to turn this on me and say that they get their religion through "observation" and "information".

A common theme here seems to be that these theists know through observation by near death experiences.

However, there are theists of multiple religions that state things about themselves meeting allah, the god of the Baha'l faith, etc.
This invalidates observation because we know it isn't trustworthy due to different results.

Theists will also commonly say "Oh, but the bible is information!"
Well, no. Information is defined as "facts provided or learned about something or someone."
The key word there is facts.
fact
fakt/Submit
noun
noun: fact; plural noun: facts
a thing that is indisputably the case.
Something that is "indisputably the case" must have been proven. If the theists have no proof, than it is not fact.
Therefore, none of you KNOW that god exists. You think you know, which is arrogance.
I know someone's probably going to try to turn this around by saying something like "Oh, but you guys don't know that god doesn't exist!", but that's just a pointless argument. You can't know that unicorns don't exist, however, no evidence that unicorns don't exist has been found. That argument only shows that if you do take on the idea that unicorns do exist, you have a hole in your brain about the size of a quarter.
There is a burden of evidence here, and that is a fact based on inquiry, a form of knowing, therefore indisputably the case.
¨I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.¨
RE: No Proof = No Knowledge
(January 13, 2014 at 6:38 pm)ChildOfReason Wrote: Okay, so I've been seeing from GC, Lion IRC, etc. that they can't prove that god exists, they just "know".
know

nō/Submit
verb

Seems to me you're including all CFC's, you are leaving out information so why should people trust what you are saying. Some CFC's break down before they enter the ozone layer and those CFC's are the ones blamed for the damage of the ozone layer, and those responsible for the banning of those CFC's knew they were wrong about that, now it cost you a great deal more to heat and cool your home be cause of their ... what ever it was.
Now to get to the real question here, I observed and saw, I asked and was answered, God gave me the information I needed to make a decision. You have ignored what I have said, that in no way means what I said was not the truth, your ignorance is no excuse for you missing out on reality.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(January 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm)Godschild Wrote: Now to get to the real question here, I observed and saw, I asked and was answered, God gave me the information I needed to make a decision. You have ignored what I have said, that in no way means what I said was not the truth, your ignorance is no excuse for you missing out on reality.

GC

That fact that you have successfully deluded yourself is not evidence for gods existence.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

GC talks to himself and calls it a conversation with God.
(January 14, 2014 at 5:43 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(January 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm)Godschild Wrote: Now to get to the real question here, I observed and saw, I asked and was answered, God gave me the information I needed to make a decision. You have ignored what I have said, that in no way means what I said was not the truth, your ignorance is no excuse for you missing out on reality.

GC

That fact that you have successfully deluded yourself is not evidence for gods existence.

You need to prove I've deluded myself before making such a statement.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
You need to prove that you haven't deluded yourself. That's where all the evidence points.
(January 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(January 13, 2014 at 6:38 pm)ChildOfReason Wrote: Okay, so I've been seeing from GC, Lion IRC, etc. that they can't prove that god exists, they just "know".
know

nō/Submit
verb

Seems to me you're including all CFC's, you are leaving out information so why should people trust what you are saying. Some CFC's break down before they enter the ozone layer and those CFC's are the ones blamed for the damage of the ozone layer, and those responsible for the banning of those CFC's knew they were wrong about that, now it cost you a great deal more to heat and cool your home be cause of their ... what ever it was.

You asshat, that's just a sentence example, but nice red herring. I'm glad you got back to the topic at hand...oh...well...sorta.

Quote:...I observed and saw,

This is vague. What did you see, a vagina?

Quote:I asked and was answered,

Even more vague. What did you ask? How did you ask it? Was it in English? What was the answer? Are there some specifics? Voice? Vision? Octopus?

Quote:God gave me the information I needed to make a decision.

How do you know it was God? You just know? You know it was God because it was God? That's how we know you're deluded.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
Are you saying that everything must be empirically proven in order to be true? That's a self defeating argument.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
"In my own lifetime I have seen Christianity reinvent itself like a chameleon changes colors. Because of the onslaught of skeptical arguments, more and more Christians are claiming that their faith is a "properly basic belief," and as such, it doesn't need any evidence to support it. Others like William Lane Craig are arguing that the witness of the Holy Spirit "trumps all other evidence" since it's "an instrinsic defeater of any defeaters brought against it." In effect, Christians have insulated their faith from contrary evidence. But this also means the external evidence does not have to support their faith, so why bother with apologetics at all? Why not just preach the Bible, as neo-orthodox theologian Karl Barth suggested?" - The Christian Delusion, pg. 17
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
More like....

Quote:Okay, so I've been seeing from GC, Lion IRC, etc. that they can't prove that god exists, they just "know" wish.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 2002 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  The false self and our knowledge of it's deception proves God. Mystic 89 12218 April 14, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Knowledge, belief, and honesty. Mystic 29 3814 March 19, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Is religion the knowledge of good and evil? Schwa 11 2613 January 22, 2015 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Faith Vs Knowledge max-greece 59 10775 April 9, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: orangebox21