Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the universe there is no meaning nor is it meaningless
Lightbulb 
In the universe there is no meaning nor is it meaningless
So I was sitting in bus driving home from school and this thought came to me. (nothing special just something I want to share with you)

Human beings are just wild animals that happened to evolve to think and have a sense of reason,we are just the same as all other organism. Good-bad,depression-happiness,ugly-beautiful this all are illusion created in our mind they do not exist. Do you think that nature makes differences between beautiful people and ugly people, bad and good events,...etc. Why do you think that we make views on life like: "oh this is good and this is bad?" Why can't we just experience reality as it is,without the interfering of our brains like why do we need to drift into the past and the future it's not like we need this any more there isn't an lion behind that bush and it will jump on us,so we need to constantly think about our past and future so that we can predict what will happen to us.

Sorry for my bad grammar,hope that you can understand what I'm trying to point out.
RE: In the universe there is no meaning nor is it meaningless
(January 17, 2014 at 1:31 pm)FractalEternalWheel Wrote: Sorry for my bad grammar,hope that you can understand what I'm trying to point out.

Sorry you lost me.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

We look on things as good and bad because we experience them as having those qualities. That is our reality, the experiencing of things in our environment being imbued with qualities like beauty, desirability, goodness or badness and so on. We look upon the world as having these qualities because our experience of the world includes these properties.

The question of why we think about past and future may be best explained with reference to what in biology is known as the Red Queen problem. The Red Queen is a reference to the story of Alice In Wonderland, in which, the Red Queen said that you have to keep running just to remain in place. In biology, the Red Queen problem refers to the theory that life is such a constant struggle against real and potential competitors, that life forms must continually innovate and change just to retain whatever reproductive advantage they currently have, as all their competitors in the environment are doing just that; if you rest on your laurels, you lose the game of life because your competitors won't be so obliging as to do the same. So consideration of the past and future is necessary in order to maximize the fitness of one's response to events and circumstances in the environment. And it's important that you do it, it's built into you to do it, because in prior generations, only those reproductive competitors who did do it outbred the competitors, including those that didn't do it. You consider the past and the future because you were built that way, contingently, as a consequence of your evolution. Does this mean you should continue to do this? That depends on whether you consider the cost of not doing it to be commensurate with the benefits of stopping. Oh no! You're doing it again!

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Something has meaning if an agent says it does. That's what meaning is.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
I cannot identify meaning in anything without my magical sky daddy telling me what that meaning is because I'm just a mindless sack of marginally-autonomous flesh.
(January 17, 2014 at 1:31 pm)FractalEternalWheel Wrote: Why can't we just experience reality as it is,without the interfering of our brains like why do we need to drift into the past and the future it's not like we need this any more there isn't an lion behind that bush and it will jump on us,so we need to constantly think about our past and future so that we can predict what will happen to us.

Well, it was never really about the lion now, was it? It was about adapting and surviving, which will never be a problem that goes away.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1265 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is the metaethical meaning of 'should'? Disagreeable 1 358 February 26, 2022 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  [Serious] Meaning in Life Gnomey 14 803 July 18, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11285 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The Super-Meaning of Romantic Relationships InquiringMind 45 6579 September 29, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Let's Say I Achieve "Meaning." What Do I Do Next? InquiringMind 51 7939 September 25, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Devil's advocate for why ontology is meaningless and vacuous. Edwardo Piet 76 6610 September 12, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body fdesilva 172 18374 August 23, 2016 at 7:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2045 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Do you think the universe is real? Excited Penguin 40 5618 December 15, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Sappho