Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:56 pm

Poll: Do atheists have as great a sense of awe and wonder as theists?
This poll is closed.
Yes and more so since they don't immediately interpret that feeling within a system of beliefs.
61.54%
16 61.54%
Yes, but it isn't on par with what theists feel. Without the feeling of the infinite personified and tuned into you, it can't be the same or as great.
0%
0 0%
No, atheists are only concerned with science. For atheists the 'unknown' is just more raw data waiting to be sorted out rationally.
0%
0 0%
Who the hell knows?
38.46%
10 38.46%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do atheists lack a sense of awe and wonder? (Doubt it.)
Do atheists lack a sense of awe and wonder? (Doubt it.)
So I came across this poem written by Jane Goodall whose religious status I don't know and it doesn't matter. When I heard her read this poem it occurred to me that most atheists could probably relate to this quite well. So I thought I'd create a poll and find out.

If you've ever felt the sentiment expressed in this poem yourself or, now that you think about it, find that you do share that sentiment, then I think you have a robust sense of awe and wonder. So do you suppose atheists can or do have as great a sense of awe and wonder as theists?

The Old Wisdom by Jane Goodall

When the night wind makes the pine trees creak
And the pale clouds glide across the dark sky,
Go out, my child, go out and seek
Your soul: the eternal I.

For all the grasses rustling at your feet
And every flaming star that glitters high
Above you, close up and meet
In you: the Eternal I.

Yes, my child, go out into the world; walk slow
And silent, comprehending all, and by and by
Your soul, the Universe, will know
Itself: the Eternal I.
RE: Do atheists lack a sense of awe and wonder? (Doubt it.)
I see the star of the night and I find they're beauty breath taking. In my mind I know that in those celestial furnaces the atoms of my heart and mind were forged, and that makes a wonderful feeling
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Theists confuses infantile impressionability with productive sense of wonder.
Well there is some grandeur in that view of the universe. You think it's all random fluke though.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(January 18, 2014 at 12:24 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: Well there is some grandeur in that view of the universe. You think it's all random fluke though.

Do not fucking tell me what I think you arrogant cannibal.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I don't think there's anything random or fluky about it. And I do have a sense of wonder. Our sky is blue. We can see clouds, which look solid, not the water droplets that they are. Airplanes can fly. I just love it all. Especially these VLJ's, the "very light jet" category of sporty business jets that look remarkably like what I and my then-BFF used to doodle.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(January 18, 2014 at 12:24 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: Well there is some grandeur in that view of the universe. You think it's all random fluke though.

I can see why you would think that but I wonder what meaning you are attaching to "random fluke". To me there is wonder in the fact that this world and this universe is exactly as it is. It raises the question in my mind of how much is necessary and how much chance. I do not know.

Some people think dreams are just random noise in the machine. But whether it is that or something else I can still marvel at the details of a dream. It interests me. The same goes for a piece of art.

I find 'flukes' mysterious and interesting. I wonder how much is ever really random. Random is so hard to create on purpose. It must be rare.

Well, if it a random fluke, then attributing it to an awesome ineffable being reflects idiocy and ignorance, not a sense of wonder.

A proper sense of wonder would be reflected in the drive to understand and embrace the fact that it is a fluke.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I see all of existence with a sense of wonder at every scale, from the largest structures in the universe to the quantum level.
I would assume most people find awe in the universe. Science is the best method of finding out how the world works. Instead of praying to the thunder god to not strike his house down, a scientist will find out how lighting works, and realize that wehn lighting strikes a church it isn't because the gods are angry with the congregation. It's because the church was probably built on a hill, with a tall steeple stretching into the sky, and lightning always travels the shortest distance between the origin and the ground.

We do have awe and wonder, and that's why we strive to know how the world and beyond works.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1914 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4473 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5205 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22067 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2198 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
  Discipline/lack of and atheism Azu 189 54749 June 19, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Common Sense shows religion screws people up. Usalabs 11 2804 March 20, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Doubt in disbelief snerie 63 8398 January 27, 2017 at 11:31 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  LOL, wonder if that was a mistake? vorlon13 11 1666 November 11, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Your lack of imagination is your defeat Little Rik 357 44947 July 27, 2016 at 8:50 am