Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you talk about your atheism
Do you talk about your atheism
Do talk openly about your atheism? I myself kind of take a middle road here. I have made feeling very clear to those that are close to me, but on the whole I try not to bring religion around people and I kind of take a live and let live policy unless somebody either tries to convert me or says says something incredibly stupid about evolution or atheists. On the whole Im not shy about but a lot of people wouldn't think I'm a atheist by meeting me. How arebyou about it?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Do you talk about your atheism
I never bring it up, but if it is brought up to me, I have no problem discussing it.

And in my neck of the woods, when it comes up, I usually have to say "Bring it on!"
Pretty much the same as you, Lemon. But if I'm drunk and someone engages me into conversation about religions.. Oooh boy.. Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I don't go out of my way to bring it up. But if religion comes up in a conversation, I have no problems making my opinions clear.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I generally have a "don't ask don't tell" policy when it comes to being an atheist. If someone asks me however I will answer honestly, and people around here are typically pretty accepting. I just really couldn't care less about being an atheist though.
The only time I bring it up is when mum wants me to pray for a cure to my blindness, but usually it doesn't come up in conversation much
As a disabled person, it is brought up to me a fair amount. The transit bus driver on the way home even made sure to say "God bless you, buddy" to me as I disembarked yesterday.

I don't bring it up in conversation with folks unless 1) I feel insulted by them or 2) it comes up in a comfortable conversation. Also, on FB, I am always resharing Atheist Republic graphic quotes.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I talk about it freely, but usually I don't bring it up. People around here might be religious, but they keep it to themselves or the church. Barring evangelists like those JW fucks OFC.
Much like the other replies in this thread, I don't make of point of declaring my atheism. It isn't as if I meet new people, shake their hand and say, 'Lovely to meet you. I'm an atheist.'

But, again like the other replies, if it comes up, I make no bones about it. Perfect example: Shortly after we moved here, the couple next door invited us to Sunday services (Methodist). I told them, 'Thanks for thinking of us, be we're atheists.' The woman paused for a moment and said, 'Would you like to go to a film sometime, then?'

This was several years ago, we're still friends with them. Lovely, sweet people.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yeah.... well... around here, people just live and let live.
At most, I only need to say that I don't care about religion and people stuff it.
Most just believe because they can't not believe, so there's no point in moving any further...
My wife's family is full of devout people, her parents, sister, brother in law... and in almost 10 years (damn, it's been that long?!) since we started dating, never, not even once, have they attempted to talk about it.
At most, they told me once or twice that I should go to mass, that it would be good for me... I simply replied "No, thank you." and that was it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5213 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1713 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Informing aging relatives of your Atheism Bahana 7 1255 October 7, 2018 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Bahana
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23252 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  The Atheist Experience talk show by Matt Dillahunty and others Alexmahone 12 2678 December 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Christianity Made Me Talk Like An Idiot Manowar 6 2698 June 25, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27093 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25760 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8099 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  How open are you with your Atheism? Casca 88 10039 November 3, 2016 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus