Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After 20 years, I'm finally awake...
After 20 years, I'm finally awake...
Hello there. I don't really know where to start to be honest...

I have recently come to the conclusion that I am an atheist. I was born into a Christian home, brought to church almost every Sunday of my life until I moved out on my own two years ago at 18. All through my life I tried to force myself to believe in God, and to ignore my brain and sense of logic and common sense. I'm going to skip the details of my life story, because I don't want to bore you all, and that's not necessarily the point of this post.

What is the point? Well basically I'm a little scared. That must sound weird, but it's the best way I can put it. I feel outnumbered and hated by the number of Christians I have in my life, especially my dad. I have a sense of relief that I'm finally embracing my disbelief in God and forming my own conclusions that I've fought all these years, but I'm afraid everyone is going to turn their back on me. Some already have. Do any of you guys deal with this? How do you handle it?
RE: After 20 years, I'm finally awake...

Welcome, Boris Karloff.
(January 19, 2014 at 8:06 am)Rayaan Wrote:

Welcome, Boris Karloff.
Thank you very much! And such a fantastic sceneWink
Welcome Big Grin

Every time a Christian deconverts, there's a party in bacon heaven.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Welcome Boris.

Around here, people don't care much about what others believe, so I can't say I've lost any friends or family members because of them knowing I don't believe in their favorite mythology.
The point is... be free from religiosity. Live life according to the reality around you. Be good to your fellow humans for the sake of improving their lives and yours.
(January 19, 2014 at 8:15 am)pocaracas Wrote: Welcome Boris.

Around here, people don't care much about what others believe, so I can't say I've lost any friends or family members because of them knowing I don't believe in their favorite mythology.
The point is... be free from religiosity. Live life according to the reality around you. Be good to your fellow humans for the sake of improving their lives and yours.
Thanks for the welcome!
And that's certainly what I'm going to try to do. Smile
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome aboard!
There certainly will be people who act as if your disbelief in their particular brand of nonsense if offensive. That is unavoidable. The good news is that in my experience (which includes the idiotic boys club that is the USMC), the majority of people just don't care, or at least don't show they care.

If you are a good person, are proud of yourself and what you stand for, then others will pick up on that. Continue to communicate with the loved ones in your life, they'll see it to.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(January 19, 2014 at 7:57 am)Boris Karloff Wrote: Hello there. I don't really know where to start to be honest...
[...] Some already have. Do any of you guys deal with this? How do you handle it?

I can't really contribute much advice from my own experience I'm afraid, since I live in a place and family where religiosity does not matter much in everyday life. Good luck with your family though!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The things that finally "broke" religion for me vodkafan 13 2593 May 30, 2014 at 9:44 am
Last Post: vodkafan
  Finally found the evidence. That guy who asked questions 25 5759 May 22, 2013 at 12:19 am
Last Post: That guy who asked questions