Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we "save the world"?
Can we "save the world"?
Hello everyone! My first post here on atheist forums and hopefully the first of many. The subject of this thread is can we "save the world"? Now when I say this many people might misinterpret this many different ways, so let me explain. When I say "save the world" I don't mean donning tights and masks and fighting the seedy criminal underworld. No, this is more can we "save" the world from such things like religion? We as Atheists have rights to live life as we see fit. Whether it's in America or Japan or Antarctica, we all have rights, just like everyone else. In America the first amendment states "Congress shall make no laws respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;". So why is it that, for example, the Mississippi State Constitution. Article 14 states "No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."? The states of Arkansas, Maryland, Mississippi, North and South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Texas have some section in their state constitutions stating people without belief in a "Supreme Being" cannot hold office within those states? Here comes the activism part of this thread, it would be very great to get such sections in these constitutions amended. These can be amended when a federal court declares that part of a state's constitution is unconstitutional and can be removed or nulled. So to my friends in those states, I urge of you to work towards making the political arena of America a little more even.
RE: Can we "save the world"?
(January 20, 2014 at 7:52 pm)MrAtheist Wrote: When I say "save the world" I don't mean donning tights and masks and fighting the seedy criminal underworld.

Well if I don't get to wear tights and a mask I'm out..
Here's one way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM7QTsnp9mA

Wait, you meant "Save the world," not "shave the world," didn't you?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(January 20, 2014 at 8:25 pm)Insanity Wrote:
(January 20, 2014 at 7:52 pm)MrAtheist Wrote: When I say "save the world" I don't mean donning tights and masks and fighting the seedy criminal underworld.

Well if I don't get to wear tights and a mask I'm out..

Can I have a Iron Man suit please?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I want to collect the whole set! Tongue
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
It'll "save" itself. Why should 'we' interfere?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
The world will have to save itself.
The world will be fine, even if the humans on it keep fucking each other over to extinction.

And I wear tights (well, stockings and sussies) most of the time, but for totally unrelated reasons.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(January 21, 2014 at 7:51 pm)Stimbo Wrote: The world will be fine, even if the humans on it keep fucking each other over to extinction.

Exactly.

We don't need to save the earth, we have to save ourselves from extinction.

99% of all species ever to exist on Earth are now extinct due to the environment becoming inhospitable for their survival.

Humans are making the planet an inhospitable place for many, but not all, of the current species (including humans) to survive. If we continue on the same path, there may be a time when we might go extinct as a species.

All that would mean is that some other species evolves to fit the available niches to become the next dominant species on on Earth.

Earth will go on and be fine. It doesn't care if we are there or not.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

I say we dust off and nuke it from orbit. [Image: coffee.gif]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Human First: A Campaign To Save A Life Mudhammam 0 589 February 24, 2017 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam