Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 11:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should your opinions outside the workplace get u fired?
Should your opinions outside the workplace get u fired?

RE: Should your opinions outside the workplace get u fired?
As long as they're kept outside of the workplace, I don't see why.
(January 22, 2014 at 12:01 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: As long as they're kept outside of the workplace, I don't see why.

If you work in a representative function where public appearance and image is extremely important or may even be the most important aspect of your work?
Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequence.

Your question is loaded, Quill, as it fails to encompass the gradient between professional or uncontroversial statements to vile, depraved or lobbying for unquestionably illegal actions. You're also incredibly unaware of how easy it is to terminate employees for any reason excepting proscribed ones.

Recall that a company has a public image to uphold and a constant demand for more revenue.

Ergo anything that endangers that revenue, including an employee who has attracted public disgust, is at risk of termination/removal.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII, specifically disallows several types of dismissals on ground of race, creed, sexuality, etc, if not related to the job at hand. It also disallows refusing to hire on basis of the above except under a few exceptions.

However, at-will and right-to-work employment laws both allow you to fire an employee for any reason as long as it is not in violation of the Civil Rights Act.

You can be terminated for a bad attitude, refusing to bathe or even farting on the CEO.

You cannot be terminated for being Jewish, Black, Gay or even Straight as examples.

So yes, Quill, your question is both loaded and selectively ignorant of the law, which is remarkably unrestrictive towards dismissal of employees.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Well, if i work for an organization with strong views (in any arena) and I am representing conflicting views that may cause that organization to lose money or harm their reputation, then I think that yes, I could be fired.

Example: If I worked for the ACLU and decided to gay-bash on Facebook, then I should be fired. Or (to play devil's advocate) if I worked in a church organization and I was involved in the atheist community, then yes, I'd agree that I shouldn't be working there.
Your second example would be actually false had you worked for a non religious organization that was over 15 employees for at least 20 months and your atheism was not a hinderance to your ability to do your job.

Note how specific I had to be to identify when being terminated for your beliefs is illegal.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Opinions belong at home and the voting booth, not at work.

I could care less what religion you practice or how much you hate taxes... be cool, don't be a dick, and do your work.
Depends on a lot of things. Not the least of which is that there are many states - they call themselves pro-business rather than anti-worker - where an employee can be fired for any reason whatever.
The company in question has every right, and responsibility, to hire and fire workers according to their mission. The worker in question has every right to not pursue this job if she can't keep her own views out of it.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6834 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Andrew McCabe fired just days before retirement c172 20 2655 March 18, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  This is why outside this forum i don't debate Politics Amarok 27 4190 January 31, 2018 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Opinions On Secretary of State Tillerson AFTT47 16 2513 December 17, 2017 at 10:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Should not vaccinating your child be a criminal offence? Coveny 32 4901 December 3, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Orlando workplace violence. Mentally ill? NuclearEnergy 5 1208 June 6, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Opinions on Ben Shapiro? Vincent 59 10544 April 20, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Priest killed outside of Rouen, France The Viking 12 1033 July 26, 2016 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Should the Romanian who scucessfully hacked into Clinton's server get immunity ReptilianPeon 18 1656 May 6, 2016 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Should North America get tougher on its citizens like Singapore? 1994Californication 7 1292 March 11, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Alex K