Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should corporations be considered persons?
Should corporations be considered persons?
Came across this summary of court cases leading up to the Citizens United case which ruled corporations not only should be accorded the same protections as people, but should also be unrestrained in spending money to influence elections. Found it an eye opener.

http://youtu.be/xyncSd-UtB4
RE: Should corporations be considered persons?

I'm too busy listening to great music to watch your video, but the short answer is, yes, corporation personhood is a useful legal fiction. Whether certain specific privileges should or should not be extended to such fictional persons, on what basis, and according to what theory, is a more substantial issue. Prior to the emancipation of the slaves, two distinct categories of person existed without the world coming to an end. Something similar needs to happen with corporate personhood, imho.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
They're treated as people when it best serves them but they're never treated as people when they commit criminal actions. This is really the wrong question. It should be, "Should we allow corporations to be treated above people?". I shouldn't say, "never" but "rarely" do they receive the right punishments befitting of the actions they carry out.
To be blunt, oh fuck hell no.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Sure, if we can extend the death penalty to them.
Beat me to it, Ryan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6848 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Dear Texass, This Is What You Get For Not Regulating Corporations Minimalist 16 1891 March 16, 2018 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Crooked Corporations and the Politicians They Own Minimalist 2 627 August 15, 2016 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Supreme Court to decide if corporations can be sued for human rights abuses reverendjeremiah 15 4678 February 26, 2012 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Only corporations are considered people with freedom in America. reverendjeremiah 24 5833 November 19, 2011 at 9:15 am
Last Post: fr0d0