Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expounding on Dawkins OP/ED......
Expounding on Dawkins OP/ED......
Ok, Dawkins in "The God Delusion" describes the flaw of gap filling with god claims as "The moth mistaking the light bulb for moonlight". If I might back that up with another analogy, to overcome that mistake, it is much like when airline pilots are trained NOT to go with their senses, especially with feelings of gravity or up or down, but to go with their instruments. It is because our perceptions as humans are notoriously flawed that we often do not see what is actually going on.

Cops and even passengers of drunk drivers can tell you that that driver cannot see the reality of their real actions and stupidly go with "I did it before, I'm fine". Even without drinking many of us have been in cars as passengers where the driver has been yapping or texting thinking the same "I'm fine". They don't record themselves so they do not have a realistic view of what is actually going on, this is an example of flawed perception.

Psychology explains why god claims exist, not religious books. For the same reason at Halloween we get fooled by those Olives thinking they are real eyeballs. The only thing that helps humans avoid mistakes in logic is to insure our own perceptions are not simply club think or pats on the back, but peer reviewed, much like a dash came provides the data that that driver really was not fine like they thought they were at the time.
RE: Expounding on Dawkins OP/ED......
I've just finished reading this exact 'moth in the flame' chapter myself. Put myself off Dawkins for ages because he can be such a collosal prick on the screen, but i'm pleasantly surprised that he translates much better in writing. I'd heard a lot of bad press about this book but i'm finding it quite accessible and comprehensive actually, more so than AC Grayling any way.
(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: Most Gays have a typical behavior of rejecting religions, because religions consider them as sinners (In Islam they deserve to be killed)
(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: I think you are too idiot to know the meaning of idiot for example you have a law to prevent boys under 16 from driving do you think that all boys under 16 are careless and cannot drive properly
(January 24, 2014 at 9:53 am)Brian37 Wrote: Ok, Dawkins in "The God Delusion" describes the flaw of gap filling with god claims as "The moth mistaking the light bulb for moonlight". If I might back that up with another analogy, to overcome that mistake, it is much like when airline pilots are trained NOT to go with their senses, especially with feelings of gravity or up or down, but to go with their instruments. It is because our perceptions as humans are notoriously flawed that we often do not see what is actually going on.

It's been a while since I've read God Delusion so I don't really recall the context of the moth example too clearly but I like your plane analogy. I appreciate that it gets at the requirement to sometimes overcome one's natural instinct to rely on one's senses and instead rely on an externally gathered set of data to make the best decisions.

(January 24, 2014 at 4:32 pm)WesOlsen Wrote: I've just finished reading this exact 'moth in the flame' chapter myself. Put myself off Dawkins for ages because he can be such a collosal prick on the screen, but i'm pleasantly surprised that he translates much better in writing.

I like Dawkins' writing style, I find him incredibly easy to read, whereas Hitchens is way too... cerebral? Esoteric? I don't know, Hitchens just isn't my cup of tea I guess, but I don't begrudge anyone else who likes him. I just don't. Hitchens is meant to be watched in video, IMO, and Dawkins is meant to be read.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(January 24, 2014 at 4:32 pm)WesOlsen Wrote: I've just finished reading this exact 'moth in the flame' chapter myself. Put myself off Dawkins for ages because he can be such a collosal prick on the screen, but i'm pleasantly surprised that he translates much better in writing. I'd heard a lot of bad press about this book but i'm finding it quite accessible and comprehensive actually, more so than AC Grayling any way.

He makes a challenge to what he thinks of as Level 4 agnosticism at the beginning of the book. Reading that passage was what made me come to the conclusion that my position had evolved past the point where giving the God idea even that much credit was dishonest.
(January 25, 2014 at 12:49 am)Clueless Morgan Wrote:
(January 24, 2014 at 9:53 am)Brian37 Wrote: Ok, Dawkins in "The God Delusion" describes the flaw of gap filling with god claims as "The moth mistaking the light bulb for moonlight". If I might back that up with another analogy, to overcome that mistake, it is much like when airline pilots are trained NOT to go with their senses, especially with feelings of gravity or up or down, but to go with their instruments. It is because our perceptions as humans are notoriously flawed that we often do not see what is actually going on.

It's been a while since I've read God Delusion so I don't really recall the context of the moth example too clearly but I like your plane analogy. I appreciate that it gets at the requirement to sometimes overcome one's natural instinct to rely on one's senses and instead rely on an externally gathered set of data to make the best decisions.

(January 24, 2014 at 4:32 pm)WesOlsen Wrote: I've just finished reading this exact 'moth in the flame' chapter myself. Put myself off Dawkins for ages because he can be such a collosal prick on the screen, but i'm pleasantly surprised that he translates much better in writing.

I like Dawkins' writing style, I find him incredibly easy to read, whereas Hitchens is way too... cerebral? Esoteric? I don't know, Hitchens just isn't my cup of tea I guess, but I don't begrudge anyone else who likes him. I just don't. Hitchens is meant to be watched in video, IMO, and Dawkins is meant to be read.

I didn't find "God Is Not Great" to be that hard of a read, but his other books, yea, he didn't understand that writing for the experts doesn't translate as well to the common reader.

I don't mind a huge vocabulary, but if you want to better society you still have to speak in their language.
God is not great is pure gratification. It's less of a step-by-step rebuttal to common theistic arguments and more of a 'letting off steam' session. I found it very fiery and very entertaining, but obviously not the best reference for use in a calm debate. It's basically Hitchens letting rip for a few hundred pages, and what it does it does well.

Of course, if you really want to read some difficult material, try reading his brother's shit. His columns in the Daily Mail and other publications are rage inducing. It's hard to imagine how two brothers could end up occupying opposite ends of the Dawkins scale. Every time Pete Hitchens opens his mouth on Question time (A popular televised political and ethical debate show here in the UK) I literally clench my fists with anger. I can find no word more fitting to describe his persona than 'cunt'.
(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: Most Gays have a typical behavior of rejecting religions, because religions consider them as sinners (In Islam they deserve to be killed)
(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: I think you are too idiot to know the meaning of idiot for example you have a law to prevent boys under 16 from driving do you think that all boys under 16 are careless and cannot drive properly

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3267 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 6526 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 804 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2286 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5707 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Geoff Robson has a hardon for Dawkins Foxaèr 7 1704 May 10, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 12975 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Hitchens, Dawkins, Hawking, Ehrman, Coin, Sagan: Where are the Woman? Rhondazvous 44 4240 January 14, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  John Lennox and Richard Dawkins TheMonster 8 2245 October 14, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: TheMonster
  Love Letters to Richard Dawkins Czechlervitz30 6 2018 July 20, 2016 at 7:37 am
Last Post: The Viking