Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ADHD
ADHD
Is ADHD even real? Or is it just a ploy by the pharmaceutical companies to push out more drugs so people don't have to parent properly?
RE: ADHD
Yes it is a very real. Though it has a number of branches(well 3) and the severity differs from person to person. Here is a link explaining the different types http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhood-...es-of-adhd . Though some parents have been known to say there child has the disorder when they do not. They want to blame the disorder instad of bad parenting but many children do actually have adhd so we must not judge the parents or the child.
It's not just the children. Mine is pretty severe, and I'm a grown-ass woman. I'm off the meds, though. They're great, but take away from my creativity. My parents refused to medicate me when I was a kid, so even if it is a scam (which I don't doubt, in many cases, it is), it doesn't always work, even on kids who actually have it.
Some one trying to diagnose you with the disorder Miss Quill?

Over medication is something to be suspicious of.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Personally I'm not sure, do I think there are people out there with such disorders I don't know. But it seems to like an excuse for kids to be dicks and not be disciplined for it. that just really bothers me, I'm blind but I can't just go knocking stuff over or bumping into people because I can't see. They should be held to the same standard of behavior disability or none.
ADHD and ASDs are indeed very real. However they are also hugely and widely overdiagnosed. There is also as my rt hon colleague says, a danger to medicalising spectrum disorders as it can inhibit people's ability to for coping strategies.

It's a rather complex topic. Ellebelle probably has a view.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(January 27, 2014 at 3:44 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Some one trying to diagnose you with the disorder Miss Quill?

No, however before my brain surgeries I saw lots dark shapes, my mother thought I was hallucinating but that just my optic nerves slowly dying. Yay!
(January 27, 2014 at 4:11 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(January 27, 2014 at 3:44 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Some one trying to diagnose you with the disorder Miss Quill?

No, however before my brain surgeries I saw lots dark shapes, my mother thought I was hallucinating but that just my optic nerves slowly dying. Yay!

Yep, been there - done that. Only mine was one dark spot and I had to focus in that direction to find it. Weird I know. Never had a diagnosis from the symptom though :S
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I attended Landmark College, in Putney, Vermont, which is a leader in dealing with specific LD's. In fact, that's its raison d'etre. A slight majority of the students there during my time had ADD or ADHD. Yes. It. Is. Very. Real. Folks with ADHD can be rather dangerous if they go off their medication scheme.

However, as has been said in this thread, some folks are misdiagnosed with ADHD or a host of other LDs or medical conditions, for many, many different reasons. My LD is dysnomia, which is speech related. However, my prevailing problem upon entering Landmark was an organizational problem that affected different spheres of my life.

My problems were not solved, and still exist, but I have strategies that I never picked up in high school. And so do those grads with ADHD. And I did much better at Sacramento State, a much, much bigger school.

http://www.landmark.edu/ld-and-adhd-resources/adhd1/
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
My opinion is that many of these things are neurological abnormalities that are more or less within the normal range (a standard deviation or so) of the neurospectrum. Traits of neurological disorders without the disorder is a sign of intelligence. Creatives are just not neurotypical