Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst & Best Thing About Being Religious
For me, as a Satanist, the worst thing about being religious is I cannot squash insects unless it is in self-defence. The best thing about being a Satanist is that I don't have to feel bad about pursuing my desires or harming my enemies.

My question to my co-religionists is what are your favorite & least favorite things about being religious?
RE: Worst & Best Thing About Being Religious
I assume you subscribe to LaVeyan Satanism.
Worst thing: You're wrong.
Best thing: You're not alone.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Worst thing would be the necessity of cherry picking, because it is impossible to take the whole bible at face value. The best thing is if you go to a moderate church, it's a pretty happy place with good natured people.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I choose not to put myself into a religious box therefore I am not burdened by their silly rules or ethics/morals.
I don't worry about stepping on bugs. If I decide to indulge in pleasures or get my enemies back I don't need to be justified by a religion.
Can you consider being a Satanist as being religious?

It's really more like being a groupie.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 28, 2014 at 10:26 am)EgoRaptor Wrote: For me, as a Satanist, the worst thing about being religious is I cannot squash insects unless it is in self-defence. The best thing about being a Satanist is that I don't have to feel bad about pursuing my desires or harming my enemies.

Don't those two things contradict?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(January 28, 2014 at 10:26 am)EgoRaptor Wrote: For me, as a Satanist, the worst thing about being religious is I cannot squash insects unless it is in self-defence. The best thing about being a Satanist is that I don't have to feel bad about pursuing my desires or harming my enemies.

My question to my co-religionists is what are your favorite & least favorite things about being religious?

Back when I was a priest the best thing was interacting with the kids in so many ways.
Hopefully you were not a Catholic priest.
(January 30, 2014 at 7:27 am)Tonus Wrote:

Don't those two things contradict?

What religious belief doesn't?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11873 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10574 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3502 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7229 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13507 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Abrahamic roots of racism, which one is worst Sammin 2 1168 October 6, 2018 at 10:09 am
Last Post: brewer
  Being Catholic isn't an ethnic thing. Joods 0 792 March 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance? Roberto 12 3584 January 23, 2018 at 5:52 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The most beautiful thing to me about the world. Mystic 24 4050 November 13, 2017 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Good thing about chronicles of narnia maestroanth 2 667 November 23, 2016 at 8:35 am
Last Post: purplepurpose