Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's go to the movies
Let's go to the movies
Is it just me or are movies getting really lame?
RE: Let's go to the movies
Movies have ALWAYS been lame. There have always been a few gems (and still are and will continue to be), but you have to sort through a lot of rubbish to get to them.

Just by way of example, both To Kill A Mockingbird and Lawrence of Arabia were released in 1962, the same year that gave us King Kong vs Godzilla and Revenge Of The Snakes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I enjoy going to the movies. I like the experience of watching them on the big screen.
The last movie I saw was the latest Puella Magi movie, a couple hours ago. So... yes, given that as a (small, restrictive) sample, movies are getting lamer. Undecided
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(February 1, 2014 at 8:59 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Movies have ALWAYS been lame. There have always been a few gems (and still are and will continue to be), but you have to sort through a lot of rubbish to get to them.

Just by way of example, both To Kill A Mockingbird and Lawrence of Arabia were released in 1962, the same year that gave us King Kong vs Godzilla and Revenge Of The Snakes.

Boru

Of course, from what I've seen, there was one brief window in the late sixties and early seventies where it looked like movies were truly getting better, and then Star Wars had to come along and fuck it up for everyone.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(February 1, 2014 at 9:02 am)ElleBelle Wrote: I enjoy going to the movies. I like the experience of watching them on the big screen.

Agreed with this!

I will say that I only go ever few weeks or so, because indeed, I don't wish to waste my time with something whose trailer I didn't like, just for the sake of going out to a movie.

I do not attend Hollywood movies too much. My most local theater is actually an indie/foreign film type of theatre, so that's what I have become accustomed to out of convenience. My last movie was Passe' (The Past) (in French with subtitles).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFTK5yFV0K4
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I watch movies, but almost never go to the theater, since the movie will eventually be shown online. That's how I watched the two recent Hobbit movies. There have always been good and bad movies. Some are universally loves, like The Wizard of Oz, and some are debatable like The Hobbit.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 1, 2014 at 4:52 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Is it just me or are movies getting really lame?

You're just getting older.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
That's a good way of looking at it. At times, we need to reevaluate our tastes.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I don't like english hollywood type movies that much because I can often tell what each character is going to say next. So many cliches! If someone says A you can expect the next guy to follow up with B. And the plots are so predictable. Older hollywood movies are better. If I like any hollywood movies these days, it's most probably because it's an action flick/it's a (good) comedy/it's dreamworks or pixar or disney animation. If an action flick has poor dialogue and bad plot, I can still enjoy the effects. Animation is probably the only type of movie that never fails to impress. I love every single one I've ever seen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mama's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Vikings chimp3 3 660 March 19, 2019 at 2:14 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Break up movies TaraJo 4 529 January 25, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Tongue Let's talk Black Mirror season 4 Aoi Magi 23 3697 January 15, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Reader's Digest movies. Gawdzilla Sama 2 557 November 15, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Amazing movies that are terrible biographies Shell B 59 16033 September 19, 2017 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Ever wonder if they let your vorlon run the Kiss Cam ?? vorlon13 2 498 September 19, 2017 at 3:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My Top 10 Superhero Movies Mechaghostman2 10 2047 October 8, 2016 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Jesster
  Awesome stuff you'd never let anyone catch you watching BrokenQuill92 26 5075 August 21, 2016 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  My Top 10 Stupid Fun Movies Mechaghostman2 7 1267 July 8, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  My Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies Mechaghostman2 92 14087 June 26, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Organic Machine