Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.
Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.
Hello forum,
So I receive my Colorado jury duty summons. Not a problem for me, except one detail. On the page reading 'Juror Qualifications', it reads, *You do not have a physical or mental disability that would affect your ability to serve as a juror. (If you do, you may be required to submit a statement from your doctor or authorized Christian Science practitioner to the jury commissioner as soon as possible after receipt of this summons before you may be disqualified.)

Christian Science practitioner? As if 'Christian science' is not an oxymoron to begin with!Huh Why not include my local Shaman, or my Hindu practitioner? Why not a statement from my Wiccan High Priestess?

I know that going against the grain in Bible Belt is probably futile but isn't a state publication citing a juror disqualification based solely on one religion (or any for that matter) against the separation of church and state?

Pursuant to section 13-17-105, Colorado Revised Statutes
RE: Colorado jury duty and breach of separation of church and state.
Maybe they're saying being a Christian Scientist is a mental disability? I worked for some for a few months and I'd believe it.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(February 2, 2014 at 1:53 am)Tea Earl Grey Hot Wrote: Maybe they're saying being a Christian Scientist is a mental disability? I worked for some for a few months and I'd believe it.

You took my very words from me. I was going to say -
In fact, never mind submitting a statement from your authorized Christian Science practitioner. Being a Christian should be ample evidence of mental disability to begin with.
(February 2, 2014 at 2:23 am)guestatheist14 Wrote:
(February 2, 2014 at 1:53 am)Tea Earl Grey Hot Wrote: Maybe they're saying being a Christian Scientist is a mental disability? I worked for some for a few months and I'd believe it.

You took my very words from me. I was going to say -
In fact, never mind submitting a statement from your authorized Christian Science practitioner. Being a Christian should be ample evidence of mental disability to begin with.
That's insulting to the mentally ill
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 2, 2014 at 2:34 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(February 2, 2014 at 2:23 am)guestatheist14 Wrote: You took my very words from me. I was going to say -
That's insulting to the mentally ill

Well there are vastly different classes of mental illness. Believing that an imaginary being can hear you when you say "in jesus' name, amen" and that the being instructs your actions on a daily basis should be considered delusional. Although most mental illnesses are only disorders if they impair your ability to work and function in everyday life.
(February 2, 2014 at 2:50 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote:
(February 2, 2014 at 2:34 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: That's insulting to the mentally ill

Well there are vastly different classes of mental illness. Believing that an imaginary being can hear you when you say "in jesus' name, amen" and that the being instructs your actions on a daily basis should be considered delusional. Although most mental illnesses are only disorders if they impair your ability to work and function in everyday life.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend good people out there who happen to mentally afflicted. I was referring to those masses of delusional ones out there, - proselytizing, patronizing, recruiting, and propagating their brand of cult worship to all others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3122 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Has Mark Samsel Done A Good Job As A Kansas State Representative? BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1098 May 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Separation of Science and State John 6IX Breezy 233 10413 November 19, 2020 at 7:44 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is Vatican a state? Fake Messiah 13 1293 November 11, 2020 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Satan and Flying Spaghetti Monster Unite for Church-State Separation AFTT47 2 673 September 23, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The communist state of Kerela, India Duty 5 846 December 22, 2018 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  State level elections in BAvaria yield ground breaking results Deesse23 0 252 October 15, 2018 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  So Apparently We Have An AG Who Doesn't Think Hawaii Is A State. Minimalist 39 8068 October 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Tillerson Out as Secretary of State Crossless2.0 12 1471 March 17, 2018 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  In the Line of Duty A Theist 98 11617 February 13, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Amarok