Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swiss ban on minarets
Swiss ban on minarets
BBC News Wrote:Swiss voters have supported a referendum proposal to ban the building of minarets, official results show. More than 57% of voters and 22 out of 26 cantons - or provinces - voted in favour of the ban.
The proposal had been put forward by the Swiss People's Party, (SVP), the largest party in parliament, which says minarets are a sign of Islamisation.
The government opposed the ban, saying it would harm Switzerland's image, particularly in the Muslim world.
But Martin Baltisser, the SVP's general secretary, told the BBC: "This was a vote against minarets as symbols of Islamic power."
Interesting...
Only sheep need a shepherd.
RE: Swiss ban on minarets
What an utter load of bullshit, if a Muslim in Switzerland wants to build himself a minarets he should damn well be able to!
(November 30, 2009 at 10:22 am)theVOID Wrote: What an utter load of bullshit, if a Muslim in Switzerland wants to build himself a minaret he should damn well be able to!
I agree, of course, but the Swiss clearly don't. What's worrying is the backlash which is likely to come very soon. Devil
My opinions of the Swiss have changed forever...
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
In a way I'm glad something like this happened just to show that we Europeans won't bow down to Islam anymore, but instead stand up for our culture. On the other hand I can see
"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought." - Graham Greene
"So forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here today." - Lawrence Krauss
This isn't unusual for the Swiss though is it?
Photo 
[Image: deering.jpg]
Quote:In a way I'm glad something like this happened just to show that we Europeans won't bow down to Islam anymore, but instead stand up for our culture.
Excuse me? Stand up for your culture? Unless your culture is using the power of majority to oppress the freedoms of a minority, there's no way to defend this that cannot be seen as bigoted and xenophobic.

Why don't you stand up for your culture a little more and ban muslims altogether? If they refuse to leave, stand up for your culture a little more and send them off to prison camps.

This is the kind of thinking that makes me lose faith in humanity.
- Meatball
(November 30, 2009 at 3:52 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: This isn't unusual for the Swiss though is it?
Dunno, bagg1ns. They can hold these referendums about anything they like, so maybe not.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meatball Wrote:This is the kind of thinking that makes me lose faith in humanity.
I agree. The main purpose of starting this thread was to speculate on the whether the Muslim world will go bananas. To be fair, they do tend to overreact!
It's not 'if' it's 'how much' they'll go overboard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudan scraps apostasy law and alcohol ban for non-Muslims zebo-the-fat 19 3899 October 14, 2020 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Muslim ban on Pokemon Go CapnAwesome 30 6313 August 22, 2016 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: huss97ein
  Sharia law ban Ophelia 7 2127 November 9, 2014 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Petition to ban Oktoberfest in Malaysia Fidel_Castronaut 13 2351 October 7, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Brave Arab blasts ban on driving in parody. Brian37 0 1488 October 31, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Syrian Rebels Ban Croissants! Rahul 11 2750 August 8, 2013 at 7:20 am
Last Post: Zen Badger