Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ADHD - "The Conversation"
ADHD - "The Conversation"
Something to think about

Quote:6 February 2014, 2.42pm AEST
ABC TV’s ‘Kids on Speed?’ shows drugs are not the answer

Quote:The new three-part documentary starting on ABC1 at 8:30 tonight, “Kids on Speed?” is timely given attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is attracting controversy because of growing evidence it’s overdiagnosed.

The show highlights the importance of a multidisciplinary approach (psychology, medicine, and education) for effective intervention and the need for treatments to be based on evidence.

Starting at the wrong end

A recent Australian study found one in five consultations to paediatricians was for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, with an average diagnostic consultation time of 48 minutes.

That doesn’t seem like enough time to comply with the National Health and Medical Research Council’s new Clinical Practice Points on the Diagnosis, Assessment and Management of ADHD in Children and Adolescents.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: ADHD - "The Conversation"
It is over-diagnosed and over-medicated. Especially in boys. All the boys in my brother's Kindergarten class were told by the teacher that they had ADHD and needed medication. They were just being 5-year-old boys. Schools expect kids to sit still in silence for hours at a time, and are increasingly cutting back on things which provide a break from that format, like music and art, P.E., and recess.

That said, there are genuine cases of ADHD. I was told I was a "classic case." While it did improve my concentration, Adderall wasn't good for me. It contributed to me having a heat stroke. Also, I didn't eat at all while it was working and then when it wore off, I binged like crazy. I'm on Vyvanse now instead.
Thought of you when I read this Winds.

IF you can gain access to this doco would you view it for me and give me your thoughts?

The doctors tried the whole medication thing on my son (Asperger's Syndrome) it didn't work and I am thinking that this doco might be damning evidence against SOME medication.

Looking forward to your thoughts if you can access this
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I can't find it online. *shrugs*
Hmmm You are in the USA? Might "not be available in your area"

Try this linky
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/series/0612063
As much as stimulants work for some people and I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of any drug that helps them - there really needs to be more not-directly-a-stimulant medication. In ADHD, there DOES need to be stimulation to the part of the brain involved with focus/concentration, but there are more indirect ways of doing so than swallowing amphetamines. For example - wellbutrin is starting to be used for ADHD. As I said though, I wouldn't want to deny amphetamines to those who benefit. But for young children... maaaybe we should think a little bit more or try a few things before throwing them on schedule II (USA) stimulants. The rush to medicate regarding any diagnosis is obscene, disregarding an emergency situation.
ADD/ADHD is definitely over medicated. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was younger, and my psychiatrist gave me a boatload of pills. I didn't find out till later when I was looking to possibly start taking medication again for college, that he was known in the psychiatry community for over medicating his patients. And I would only see him for 5 minutes every month or two. Conversation would usually go as such:

Dr.: So how have you been feeling with the new dosage we gave to you?
Me: I don't like it I still feel quiet and I don't socialize when I'm on it.
Mom: He still has been having a bit of an attitude, I feel as though we are still grounding him the same as usual.
Dr.: Ok so we're gonna try a higher dosage then and see how that works out.
Me: Ugh
Try the link regarding five children aged 5 - 11 and a team of a Paediatrician, Psychologist and child Behavioural Scientist try to work out stratagigies for four families. Yep One Family has TWO kids that could be diagnosed with ADHD.

First time I have ever encountered the ODD (Oppositional Defiance Disorder) as a diagnosis.

Still no answer as to just WHY these kids are presenting with these issues. Very distressing for parents and kids alike. My own son was first prescribed Ritalin then Oxy - can't remember the rest...... both he rejected as they made him depressed and suicidal. The question still goes begging...WHY are these kids presenting with these difficulties?
Wait, your kid has aspergers and they tried ADHD meds on him!? What the fuck. O.o

The reason why people present with psychosis, or depression, or any mental disorder is not clear however. This does not mean "do nothing" or "never consider medication" (not saying you are claiming such things, just clarifying).
(February 6, 2014 at 9:19 am)Psykhronic Wrote: Wait, your kid has aspergers and they tried ADHD meds on him!? What the fuck. O.o

The reason why people present with psychosis, or depression, or any mental disorder is not clear however. This does not mean "do nothing" or "never consider medication" (not saying you are claiming such things, just clarifying).

My son is NOW 23. This was way back when they (the Medical fraternity and Educators) knew less than nothing about autism (ASD), ADHD, ODD or any other Mental health issue.

He was just "Not responding like the good little sheep he was supposed to be in class and he was sooo much taller than the other kids that they felt he intimidated them". Sucks I know, but I engaged in therapy and demanded that the whole family take my cue as to how to deal with him that he had no option but to develop beyond the two-three year old mind set of chucking a tantrum to get his own way.

Currently he is still diagnosed as being ASD/ Autism BUT with much pushing (very gently mind) he is developing his skills and doing quite well, has a job (albeit only 8 hours per week) and has his own apartment with little input from me or the Autism Association of WA, very proud of him. He manages his own diary of appointments and meetings to discuss funding and outings with his peers/ friends. All sans medication which he has not had since he was about 8 years old.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosing ADHD BrokenQuill92 8 2014 September 19, 2015 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  First chatbot on chatbot conversation ends in argument. downbeatplumb 5 2578 September 12, 2011 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Tiberius