Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghosts: What I saw, but I still can't logically believe in them
Ghosts: What I saw, but I still can't logically believe in them
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a hallucination /thought without accepting it. This famous quote by Aristotle will be used to discuss what the general population considers "ghosts."

My personal experience: One day while I was skipping a fine day of elementary school due to excessive tiredness from the prior days activities. I was laying on the couch in my living room due to watching television at that location the night prior, and being to lazy to make my way upstairs to my room. I was sleeping for about awhile and eventually woke up to the sound of someone walking up the stairs which the couch is next to. I woke up and knew for a fact nobody was home so put it off as being from my dream, or another sound entirely mistaken. I heard it again, that sound of pressure being placed stair to stair, that unique creak which comes after when said pressure is alleviated. I took the covers off my head - yes I sleep with the covers over my head - and saw what only I could label as a spectral figure. I was immobile, unable to move due to the immense fear that had overcome my mind and body.

The figure continued to walk up the stairs step by step, creak by creak, and with each step and creak the fear increased tremendously. Again, my body is completely immobile, the only thing which is moving is my highly dilated eyes, traveling with the figure as it ascended. The figure continued to ascend, and ascend for what felt like forever. I had no thoughts in my mind at this time, and the only thing i could feel was what I could label as nothing, true authentic impulse. The figure placed it's foot on another step, but it didn't continue. This seemed so very, very long, but was only for a mere second. My heart began to race, I began perspiring, and my breath starts to become rapidly paced. Now the thoughts started racing into my mind, at speeds I couldn't even comprehend; what was it doing, why did it stop, am I going to die? These were some of the things that were going through my mind. The sound of a creak was heard, my body jolts, but I re-assume the defenseless immobility I was in before.

That creak was so beyond frightening, because that creek wasn't one of the alleviation of pressure, but the adjustment of pressure from one side of the stairs to the other. It was the worst possible thing that could have happened that my mind could have ever conceived. The adrenaline in my body has started taking over, everything has slowed down so much more than it even was before. The figure, oh yes that spectral figure has changed its routine. Why? What has changed it's mind to change its routine? It begins to turn towards the railing, so slowly, so terrifyingly slowly. The continuation of that one creak, continuing, and continuing, and continuing on for what seemed like forever. As it continued it began to get louder and louder, as more pressure was placed on the side of the stairs closest to the railing. As the creaks continued and as they got louder my eyes began to open wider, and wider, and wider. I could hear my heart beat from my main artery along my neck, I could feel my heart attempting to pull itself out of my chest. I began shaking, shaking beyond any comprehensible amount you could have imagined.

Then, well then, everything stopped, as my brain registered what was that figure, that figures head slowly appearing of the wooden oak railing. In this moment at which I could only label a limbo, all I felt like I wanted to do was cry. That creak was so very, very loud; it literally blocked out every other sound that could have been perceivable at that time period. That.. that was until the railing, oh yes the wooden oak railing, started to creak simultaneously with those wooden oak stairs. The figure had placed her hand on the rail, my heart dropped, my body dropped. The head continued to make it's way out, out over the rail. The creaking of the wooden oak railing, and the simultaneous creaking of the wooden oak stairs, was amplifying every alteration of body and mind I have previously stated. Oh god, oh god I had thought to myself. My eye started twitching, my legs shaking, my heart racing, my breadth rapidly pacing... I ran, I ran as fast as I could, grabbing the phone on my way down to the cellar to hide in a corner.

I called my dad crying profusely as a shook so vigorously to the point of almost having a fainting spell or cardiac arrest. I told him everything, he attempted to comfort me, but he had to go back to work because he had to support myself and my mother. Why did I have this reaction you my ask, that head, once fully across that rail, and fully stationary, it was so pristinely identifiable as angelic and human. I could see every curve, and detail. but at the same time it was so unreal. It has such a mono expression, almost to the point of resembling a sculpted statue. the eyes had no pupils or color, they were completely white. the eyelids never fluttered, everything about this figure was completely in reality too controlled and orderly to exist. That's what frightened me the most then. I eventually obtained enough gumption, enough guile to walk back up those cold concrete cellar stairs. I was shaking. I was so cold, so very, very cold. I walked up the stairs, and I saw it. I saw the door that disconnected me and that thing, that greatly illogical, but orderly being.

I put my hand on the knob. I waited there for a second, breathing swiftly and deeply, shaking with no end in sight. Will this being be on he other side waiting for me, will it be gone? I cried, and the tears cascaded down my face, falling down onto that cold concrete floor. If I did open this door, and the figure was waiting for me on the other side of this doorway then what would happen. I didn't think of death or life at this point, but more of torture, and how this has been torturous on both my body and mind. I slowly turn the knob, that cold metal knob attached to that oak wooden door, my body started to shake faster and faster, and all I could hear was the sound of that knob turning and turning. I stop. I compose myself. And I prepare to run back down those cold concrete stairs if I'm able. The cold metal knob has reached its furthest point and I have the ability to open that oak wooden door. It's quite hard to understand what I went through at this point, but in all honesty it was the most fearful point in my life. I opened that door, oh yes that oak wooden door, to find nothing, nothing but a paranoid self. I continued walking around that floor of the house, slowly, and scarily. I continue to do this and as I do the problems associated with this event have slowly and gradual come to a calming state of within normal limits. I dared not to venture up those creaky, oak wooden stairs.

When my parents came home they found nothing, and my father disregarded it as nothing though he did believe it was a possibility. My mother on the other hand reinforced what I saw. She said that same day she noticed a white figure similar to the one I saw, walking behind me as I walked down the stairs. She said she didn't tell me so I wouldn't have become frightened and fall down the stairs. She's a paranoid schizophrenic, so believing what she says isn't rational, and I've always regarded her statement as conjured by her own psyche.

With saying all of this, I don't believe in ghosts. I believe this was a one time hallucination brought on by whatever, be it a minor chemical imbalance, or continued dream state.

Talk about your ghostly experiences, how you feel about them, etc.
RE: Ghosts: What I saw, but I still can't logically believe in them
Right, we can have really intense experiences of things that aren't real. I've had a 'ghost' one myself. It felt absolutely real and I felt absolutely awake...but I don't think what I experienced was paranormal.
Humans seem to have an innate capacity to want to scare the crap out of themselves.
I haven't believed in the possibility of ghosts since I was a kid.
One of my ex-friends is a necromancer that likes to bind ghosts to do her bidding. I don't believe in ghosts at all, but I used to like to play along and try to scare the shit out of my friends. Does that qualify as trolling?
(February 6, 2014 at 3:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Humans seem to have an innate capacity to want to scare the crap out of themselves.

This.
(February 6, 2014 at 3:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Humans seem to have an innate capacity to want to scare the crap out of themselves.

That was probably a useful survival trait when you don't have big teeth, claws, horns, or bony scutes.
Dang that was long. What are you a novelist?
I would love for ghosts to be real. Too bad I know better. Takes all the fun away.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(February 6, 2014 at 3:26 pm)x2theone2x Wrote: I was sleeping for about awhile

A refreshingly precise description of a length of time. :p

My weird experience, not really a ghost story, but here you go:

Preface: I get really paranoid about home invaders and serial killers when I'm home alone. Must have been all those slasher movies I watched as a teenager. Compound that with an experience a couple years ago where I saw heard and saw a guy hop my backyard fence, go around to the front of the house and walk away down the road. If that don't make a 20-something woman home alone at least a little scared, I don't know what will.

Anyway, I was home alone one night and it was around 9pm, maybe later (it was summer and it was dark outside therefore it was probably 9pm or later) I heard the unmistakable sound of the door upstairs opening.... and then closing. Keep in mind I was definitely home alone, and both the cats were asleep in their beds downstairs. All sentient beings capable of opening or closing a door were accounted for. There was no reason for a door to be opening and closing upstairs.

Brushed it off as my imagination.

A few minutes later, I heard it again, this time it kind of weirded me out. The third time it happened I got kind of scared. The fourth time, I started watching the doors upstairs to see if I could see anything but I couldn't, but I could still hear the unmistakable sound of the hinges creaking, the latch giving, and then the door closing again.

I'm totally fuckin' scared by this point. There is no such thing as ghosts so there has to be some earthly cause for this phenomena and I'll be damned if I go check it out unarmed especially if it turns out to be some serial rapist who decided it was way easier to climb into a second-story window than to jimmy one of the downstairs bedroom windows. That doesn't make any sense, even by stupid criminal standards, so it must be nothing. So I grabbed a cast iron pan, turned on the lights and headed upstairs.

I get all the way to the second-stair from the top, frying pan held like a baseball bat (just in case), really scoping out the three doors on the landing when the door to the spare bedroom creaked open. Latch fluttered, creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeked open about 9 inches and then pushed closed again. I almost peed myself.

I steeled my resolve, went up the last two steps, rounded the landing and just as the door was creeking open again, I kicked it open, jumped back and got ready to bash in Ghost Face from the Scream movies, or Michael Meyers, or whomever was in there!!!

What I saw was an open window.

It was summer. It was hot out. The window was open so let the house cool off and it was a breezy night.

I closed the window and slept with a BB gun next to my bed that night, just in case.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you still be an atheist if you believe in the paranormal? Regina 28 7646 February 14, 2015 at 1:36 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Saw my first UFO last night Zen Badger 41 10010 December 26, 2014 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  I don't believe in Ghosts but I have seen one. MrSqurk 96 33438 May 22, 2012 at 11:04 am
Last Post: fuckass365
  On the topic of "ghosts" fuckass365 7 4010 May 18, 2012 at 9:52 am
Last Post: fuckass365
  Ghosts Phil 1 2070 March 17, 2012 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Welsh cake
  Why do ghosts have to wear sheets over their heads. Ziploc Surprise 14 11460 February 17, 2012 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas