Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm currently taking Human Anatomy and Physiology 1
I'm currently taking Human Anatomy and Physiology 1
I'm not sure if this topic would go here or in another section, but in any case I need some form of input. This course is currently being taken at a local community college, because the lab portion consists of the rare opportunity of performing on human cadavers. This course is considered on par with a medical schools; a grade of C in this class from this institution is considered an A at almost any other. Nobody has ever received an A in the lab portion, and only three people passed it with C's last semester. For the lecture only 5 people have had A's in the last ten years. If you couldn't tell I'm shooting for a C. The lab is considered the Anatomy side of the course and the Lecture is meant to be more of the physiological aspect of the human.

Now, I'm having a large amount of trouble determining how to study for the physiology aspect of this class, and I'm kind of stressing this as the first test will be soon. Our instructor recommends not reading the book as it's to complex to comprehend, and if he even said he wouldn't even be able to fully rationalize what it's conveying. My fellow peers recommend quizlet to create flash cards, but that helps me in no way other than for the anatomy portion. The first test will be on three chapters, not one directly correlating with one another and being very diverse.

What would you guys recommend?
RE: I'm currently taking Human Anatomy and Physiology 1
A&P wasn't that difficult for me, but I guess I just had a lax professor.

As for working on dead bodies, no, we really didn't get to work with them that much. Bits and pieces and we might look at stuff under slides, but that's about it. We diasected a cat in A&P2, but not in 1.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
What I usually do is write things down multiple times, highlight with different colors. Read the chapter more than twice, or even more, highlight important parts and stick with the whole different color scheme. Try to understand and visualize everything as well. Review every day, even if it's just for 30 minutes.
I also used highlighting in various colors for A&P. I don't understand why the instructor would tell you not to read the text? First, why have it if it's useless...and how does he know you would not grasp it? He doesn't. Just read it.
(February 9, 2014 at 3:19 am)Dena Wrote: I also used highlighting in various colors for A&P. I don't understand why the instructor would tell you not to read the text? First, why have it if it's useless...and how does he know you would not grasp it? He doesn't. Just read it.

Just for reference. Say I don't understand the carbonic acid - bicarbonate buffer system. I would look it up in the book to better understand it. He believes if you read the entirety of the chapters it will overload you with information you won't need, and the information you do need is lost within it.
I had something like this which helped me with my anatomy and physiology course.

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy-Phys...0763700541

Something to do with the colouring in helped it stick.

I passed with distinction.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

maybe it's time your school issues a book that match's your class.

Ignore the professor. Read the text. If he was right, you'll find out soon enough.

In college, my best friend from high school and I made a pact, to help us study. Each quarter, she would pick one course that she specialized in, and I'd pick one in my specialty, and we'd both take both classes. The first semester we did this, I picked "Existentialist Literature." She picked Human Anatomy. At the end of the semester, she had a C in human anatomy. I aced both courses. We never repeated the experiment.

(My A in existentialist literature was surprising, as I didn't read any of the books except one. But I was a masterful bullshitter, and the professor liked me. God knows why... )

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Did the first test without reading the book. Got a high C or low B. I'm happy and now I understand his test layout.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The connection between religion and neuropsychological processes in the human brain Aroura 9 2257 March 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Sympatriic speciation and implication on human ancestry Anomalocaris 3 1291 August 26, 2014 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Diablo
  Biomimetics: physiology augments engineering Coffee Jesus 0 602 May 9, 2014 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  Calculus, Logic, Music and the Human Brain Statler Waldorf 132 61432 October 27, 2011 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Statler Waldorf