Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An unanswerable question
An unanswerable question
I often ask theists if god told them to, would they jump off a bridge ... or if god told them to, would they kill a baby ...

I've has one yes but the rest never replied. What does this, to you, tell you about religion?
RE: An unanswerable question
It tells me that most of them are full of shit.

But I already knew that.
The standard answer is "God would never say that."

This despite the countless occurrences in their mythology when their god did precisely that.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 9, 2014 at 9:12 pm)Stimbo Wrote: The standard answer is "God would never say that."

I've yet to hear that ... my reply to that would probably be something like "yes, but hypothetically, if he did exist, is it a yes or a no?"

I'll try that out next time.
(February 9, 2014 at 9:02 pm)Shep Wrote: I often ask theists if god told them to, would they jump off a bridge ... or if god told them to, would they kill a baby ...

I've has one yes but the rest never replied. What does this, to you, tell you about religion?

I've seen Matt Dillahunty confront a Christian like this on the Atheist Experience. He did exactly the same thing, though the discussion was would he sacrifice his child if he believed his god told him to.

After a lot of evasion he finally said no.

I've encountered a number who have said yes.

I've also encountered plenty who I suspect would be out murdering and raping if they believed their deity said it was okay.
Dying to live, living to die.
I've seen (heard?) a xtian caller on TAE who said, with very little prompting and zero irony, that if xtians today behaved like their biblical counterparts, they'd all be locked up.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Yeah, I've asked them that and the usual answer I get is "God would never ask that of me." When I point out how many times he did that in their bible, they respond with "he doesn't do that anymore."

When I ask "why not?" is when they draw a blank.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Edward Gibbon

I gave up waiting for god to give me the go ahead. If anybody asks, it was "little voices in my head."

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I've had people tell me that god wouldn't tell them to kill their kid/a baby, despite that this was totally in character for him. Since a lot of people seem to project their thoughts and feelings onto their deity, I doubt anyone would say their god would tell them to do something that goes wildly against what they want.

Note how the same people that quote the old testament when speaking against homosexuality would probably not let some rapist marry their daughter. The modern equivalent of fifty silver pieces or not.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Apparently it happens fairly often....

http://www.livinglakecountry.com/lakecou...56986.html

Quote:Voices in my head, God's voice, told me to kill my baby because it was satanic."