Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immense Cambrian fossil bed discovered "rivals the famous Burgess Shale"
Immense Cambrian fossil bed discovered "rivals the famous Burgess Shale"
http://www.livescience.com/43270-new-bur...anada.html

Quote:A treasure trove of fossils chiseled out of a canyon in Canada's Kootenay National Park rivals the famous Burgess Shale, the best record of early life on Earth, scientists say.

[...]

The new site is also in the Burgess Shale formation, and seems to rival the 1909 original in fossil diversity and preservation, researchers report today (Feb. 11) in the journal Nature Communications. In just two weeks, the research team collected more than 3,000 fossils representing 55 species. Fifteen of these species are new to science.

Jesus could not be reached for comment.
RE: Immense Cambrian fossil bed discovered "rivals the famous Burgess Shale"
I started reading that but got distracted by the link to transparent bikinis.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Woot! Yay science!

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Amazing. Can't wait to hear more of the findings. It seems there's a whole bunch of new species. Soft body parts on creatures that died over 500 million years ago - it just boggles the mind.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
This is why science is so damned fascinating: always something new.

I wonder if they'll find Adam and Eve's fossils this time . . .?

Oh, wait!
Dying to live, living to die.
That's cool as shit. I love reading this stuff. Only one problem--every time they find a new "transitional" fossil, there are now two gaps in the fossil record where there was only one...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 11, 2014 at 4:34 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: I started reading that but got distracted by the link to transparent bikinis.

I don't see the point of transparent bikinis. I'f you're going to do that you may as well go naked. It's more comfortable, too.

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 11, 2014 at 4:17 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: In just two weeks, the research team collected more than 3,000 fossils representing 55 species. Fifteen of these species are new to science.

Luckily without even looking at them we know that none will be transistional fossils, so we can all keep our faith in Creation science.
(February 11, 2014 at 4:17 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: http://www.livescience.com/43270-new-bur...anada.html

Quote:A treasure trove of fossils chiseled out of a canyon in Canada's Kootenay National Park rivals the famous Burgess Shale, the best record of early life on Earth, scientists say.

[...]

The new site is also in the Burgess Shale formation, and seems to rival the 1909 original in fossil diversity and preservation, researchers report today (Feb. 11) in the journal Nature Communications. In just two weeks, the research team collected more than 3,000 fossils representing 55 species. Fifteen of these species are new to science.

Jesus could not be reached for comment.

I look skeptically at a story that still claims Burgess Shale formations to be the best record of Cambrian life.
(February 12, 2014 at 12:14 am)Chuck Wrote: I look skeptically at a story that still claims Burgess Shale formations to be the best record of Cambrian life.

Why? Prior to this find the big Cambrian fossil sites I was aware of are the Aldan River, Burgess Shale, House Range, Utah, Marble Mountains, and White-Inyo Mountains finds. Of these 5 sites the Burgess shale appears to be the one with both the most diverse complex species and covers the longest timescale at about 25 million years. Are there other know Cambrian fossil sites you consider better than the Burgess Shale?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fossil worm shows us our evolutionary beginnings zebo-the-fat 0 364 March 24, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  New human species discovered in the Phillipines downbeatplumb 5 641 April 13, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Fossil provides new understanding of bird evolution Foxaèr 10 945 June 30, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: oldpollock
  Statuesque dinosaur fossil discovered Thumpalumpacus 44 8009 May 13, 2017 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The cambrian explosion king krish 74 14773 November 1, 2015 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Stupid Virus Discovered in People popeyespappy 0 993 November 11, 2014 at 11:09 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Origins of sex discovered: Side-by-side copulation Dolorian 4 1585 October 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  New thing discovered that does not fit into tree of life downbeatplumb 8 2366 September 5, 2014 at 11:13 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biggest Dino yet discovered max-greece 15 2573 May 17, 2014 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  The Cambrian Mystery Mudhammam 9 2814 January 24, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Mudhammam