Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think I'm working for the Republicans
I think I'm working for the Republicans
So, a couple of weeks ago, I started working. I've been out of the job market for a while, so my primary focus has been getting some job history on my side. However, there have also been a few problems

1) I get paid minimum wage. Do you know how low that is?
2) I work, at most, 7 hrs a day with just one 20 minute break in there. That can be more than a little tiring.
3) I work in a call center where I call people to do political surveys all day. This usually means they hang up on me immediately, but some of them yell/curse at me first.
4) I haven't even been getting the full 7 hrs a day lately. This week, the longest I've worked has been almost 6 hrs.
5) I have no car and I have to leave for work a little over two hours before my shift starts to catch the bus and get there on time.
6) I get off usually around 10 or 11 and can't catch the bus home that late, so I have to rely on my boyfriend to get me a ride home. His car is kinda beat up and it's costing us a fortune in gas to get me there and back.

Now I've come to realize another problem

7) The great majority of the work I do seems to be for the Republican party. A lot of these surveys tell me to ask leading or loaded questions. For example, they might ask something like "If you heard that __Insert_Democratic_candidate___ sacrificed babies to Satan every night, would you be more likely or less likely to vote for him?"

I feel dirty. I also need a new/better job (hopefully one that allows me to complete school).
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: I think I'm working for the Republicans
So you're in purgatory. There has got to be a better way. Hope you find it soon.
(February 13, 2014 at 11:51 am)whateverist Wrote: So you're in purgatory. There has got to be a better way. Hope you find it soon.

Yeah, well, since I've been out of the workforce for so long and going back to school, I don't have much recent job history to put on resumes and applications. I wouldn't know how to include experience webcam modeling and, honestly, I probably wouldn't want to include that even if I knew how. So, for now, I'd rather have this job than no job and I can use it as a springboard to something better. I just hope I can find a halfway decent job that will allow me enough flexibility to finish my associates degree but also pay a decent amount. Crossing my fingers and hoping I find a call center job downtown.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
That sounds like what the republicunts want all jobs to be like.

Welcome to serfdom thanks to the 1%.
(February 13, 2014 at 12:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: That sounds like what the republicunts want all jobs to be like.

Welcome to serfdom thanks to the 1%.

Almost. Tara is still being paid money, after all.

Give the GOP what they want and before you know it, Wal-Mart employees will be paid in Wal-Mart gift cards like they tried to do in Mexico a few years ago.

If they pay at all. It's not as if conservatives are historically turned off by slavery.
Slavery, as an economic model, would never have survived the industrial revolution (save for some vestigal - house slave - ) type of thing. Slaves were expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, and the bastards had the annoying tendency to die which negated the investment.

How much easier did the fucking capitalist factory managers in the northern cities have it? Go down to the docks and meet the ships coming in filled with the Irish. Take your choice, pay them a pittance, and if they got sick or died they were infinitely replaceable. There was no investment in the Irish. They were expendable. That's the model the scumbags would like to have back.
(February 13, 2014 at 10:47 am)TaraJo Wrote: So, a couple of weeks ago, I started working. I've been out of the job market for a while, so my primary focus has been getting some job history on my side. However, there have also been a few problems

1) I get paid minimum wage. Do you know how low that is?
2) I work, at most, 7 hrs a day with just one 20 minute break in there. That can be more than a little tiring.
3) I work in a call center where I call people to do political surveys all day. This usually means they hang up on me immediately, but some of them yell/curse at me first.
4) I haven't even been getting the full 7 hrs a day lately. This week, the longest I've worked has been almost 6 hrs.
5) I have no car and I have to leave for work a little over two hours before my shift starts to catch the bus and get there on time.
6) I get off usually around 10 or 11 and can't catch the bus home that late, so I have to rely on my boyfriend to get me a ride home. His car is kinda beat up and it's costing us a fortune in gas to get me there and back.

Now I've come to realize another problem

7) The great majority of the work I do seems to be for the Republican party. A lot of these surveys tell me to ask leading or loaded questions. For example, they might ask something like "If you heard that __Insert_Democratic_candidate___ sacrificed babies to Satan every night, would you be more likely or less likely to vote for him?"

I feel dirty. I also need a new/better job (hopefully one that allows me to complete school).

At least you can get free health care which will be paid for by the money they steal from me.
(February 13, 2014 at 9:22 pm)Lek Wrote: At least you can get free health care which will be paid for by the money they steal from me.

Jesus must be proud.

Because as he preached so frequently, "As long as I've got mine, fuck the rest."
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(February 13, 2014 at 10:59 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(February 13, 2014 at 9:22 pm)Lek Wrote: At least you can get free health care which will be paid for by the money they steal from me.

Jesus must be proud.

Because as he preached so frequently, "As long as I've got mine, fuck the rest."

Unfortunately the health care law was designed to help one demographic more than any other: the health insurance industry.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(February 13, 2014 at 8:17 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Slavery, as an economic model, would never have survived the industrial revolution (save for some vestigal - house slave - ) type of thing. Slaves were expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, and the bastards had the annoying tendency to die which negated the investment.

How much easier did the fucking capitalist factory managers in the northern cities have it? Go down to the docks and meet the ships coming in filled with the Irish. Take your choice, pay them a pittance, and if they got sick or died they were infinitely replaceable. There was no investment in the Irish. They were expendable. That's the model the scumbags would like to have back.

Don't forget the Chinese railroad workers. The cycle does continue to some degree with Mexican immigrants. Poor saps.

I have to say this, Tara, if you have been out of work that long, it's good at least that you have a job. That must be something of a bright side. I mean, food is nice, so congrats on that. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 1919 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3126 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  An honest question for the Republicans Foxaèr 26 1167 November 20, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question About Republicans DeistPaladin 13 1217 September 22, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump’s evangelical adviser to Jim Bakker: ‘It’s not Republicans vs Dems — it’s God v Secular Elf 6 796 March 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Ranjr
Big Grin Democrats VS Republicans I believe in Harry Potter 17 1919 October 28, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Rabid Republicans in Oregon senate Rev. Rye 5 589 June 22, 2019 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Republicans, can you explain this to me? Losty 47 6507 May 10, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can the polarization between Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. be reversed? Angrboda 36 5617 December 4, 2018 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Why Do Republicans/Conservatives Bend Over Backwards for Companies? Jade-Green Stone 14 1363 November 28, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist