Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Negative Rep
Negative Rep
At the outset I want to note that this is not a complaint about theVOID or an allegation that he did not follow the forum rules. It is merely my thoughts on the reason he gave for giving me a negative rep.

This is interesting, I got a negative rep Cool Shades from theVOID because

"Literalist interpretations of a book you have no honest way of verifying as truth automatically earns you a neg rep."

Do you give out negative reps any time someone holds to a position that they have no honest way of verifying as truth? Wink Shades

Are you suggesting that there is an honest way of verifying your whole position on origins as "truth"? Big Grin

How do you define "truth" anyway?

I, personally, think you are being inconsistent and arbitrary in giving me the negative rep. I think you only did it because you do not agree with my position on the Bible. If you are going to give me a negative rep, at least be consistent overall and be honest about why you are doing it. In other words, saying "Literalist interpretations of the Bible automatically earns you a neg rep." would be consistent and honest (even if I disagree that it is a good reason for giving someone a negative rep). Linking the reason to the fact that it cannot honestly be verified as truth is inconsistent and disingenuous.
RE: Negative Rep
rjh4,

The Void seems fairly consistent to me; even though I don't necessarily agree with his judgements I can at least see that he doesn't just fling rep around for the hell of it. Our rep system is ruleless as far as I know so he is playing by the rules.

Quite often the side effect of someone giving you negative rep is a positive gain in rep as your "team" comes to defend you. Quite the little metagame in this forum of ours. If you feel sore about it, rep him back like most of us do when given negative rep. Wheeeeeee!

Rhizo
(December 2, 2009 at 11:17 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: rjh4,

This should probably be in off topic but anyway...

The Void seems fairly consistent to me; even though I don't necessarily agree with his judgements I can at least see that he doesn't just fling rep around for the hell of it. Our rep system is ruleless as far as I know so he is playing by the rules.

Quite often the side effect of someone giving you negative rep is a positive gain in rep as your "team" comes to defend you. Quite the little metagame in this forum of ours. If you feel sore about it, rep him back like most of us do when given negative rep. Wheeeeeee!

Rhizo

Probably should be off topic, I agree.

I also agree that he is playing by the rules. I tried to make that clear.

I'm not sure I would have much of a "team" here. *grins* I'm not sure there is even one other Christians here agree with me. But that's ok. Smile

Lastly, I am not sore about it. Life is too short to get mad just because someone disagrees with you, even if it is to the point of them calling you names, thinking you are an idiot, or giving negative reps on a forum. I just thought the reasons he gave were worth commenting on. (I actually thought about repping him back but then I thought that would just be petty of me.)
I have removed the negative reputation from the_Void left for rjh4 for the following reason.

The reputation system is there for the purpose of adding to or subtracting from a users personal standing and popularity amongst other users of this forum.

The statement. Literalist interpretations of a book you have no honest way of verifying as truth automatically earns you a neg rep. has nothing to do with the quality, content, attitude or any other form of behaviour by which rjh4 may have conducted themselves here and subsequently may be judged.

You might just as well say that people who believe in a God without supporting evidence automatically earn a negative reputation or those who accept evolution by natural selection automatically earn a positive reputation.

This is not within the spirit of the reputation system.

I have also removed the negative reputation from Synackaon as without the former, the latter is superfluous.

Darwinian
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(December 2, 2009 at 2:42 pm)Darwinian Wrote: I have removed the negative reputation from the_Void left for rjh4 for the following reason.

The reputation system is there for the purpose of adding to or subtracting from a users personal standing and popularity amongst other users of this forum.

The statement. Literalist interpretations of a book you have no honest way of verifying as truth automatically earns you a neg rep. has nothing to do with the quality, content, attitude or any other form of behaviour by which rjh4 may have conducted themselves here and subsequently may be judged.

You might just as well say that people who believe in a God without supporting evidence automatically earn a negative reputation or those who accept evolution by natural selection automatically earn a positive reputation.

This is not within the spirit of the reputation system.

I have also removed the negative reputation from Synackaon as without the former, the latter is superfluous.

Darwinian

Thank you!
Ahh... that makes sense Darwinian. More power to you Rjh4! Big Grin
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
(December 2, 2009 at 2:42 pm)Darwinian Wrote: This is not within the spirit of the reputation system.

Darwinian
Note: only defending my actions.

I disagree with this particular sub action. As reputation is bestowed from another and may be changed at any time, and I based what I gave him (negative reputation) on the fact that he whined about someone giving their opinion of him.

Get into arguments over world views, actions that influence large groups of people, etc,. But don't go saying that I can't express my intense disapproval over someone creating a whole thread to call someone out over their one-on-one opinion of the former. I'd also like to point out that if you limit this so, you either apply a double standard or must re-examine all other reputation points given, as they also give personal opinions on a member of a community.

Re-added to better express my current disapproval. Will change it if personal opinion changes.
As the original negative reputation was unjustified and against the spirit of the reputation system it therefore follows that the observation and request for clarification made was not whining but was instead entirely reasonable. It further follows that a negative reputation given for a reasonable post is also unjustified.

Are you free to express your opinion on another member? Yes? Are you free to reverse a decision made by an Admin on this forum, however justified you may feel concerning your original action? No.

I have therefore made the decision that your recent negative comment regarding a valid grievance by another member, especially as I have already taken action on this matter, is petty, retaliatory and ungrounded and as such have removed it, again.

No further discussion will be entered into regarding this matter.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Just to quantify:

Quote:Are you free to express your opinion on another member? Yes? Are you free to reverse a decision made by an Admin on this forum, however justified you may feel concerning your original action? No.

What you are in title to do is challenge the decision made by an admin specially if one feels the action undone by the admin was justified. We admins are human after all and are prone to make mistakes just as much as any member. But do so in PM please, and certainly do not reverse a decision made by an admin on your own. If there is a dispute with admin A, contact admin B, or C, and they will take an objective look and undo if they feel the grievance is justified and not if not.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rep Whoring Thread (again) The Valkyrie 16 783 September 9, 2020 at 12:29 am
Last Post: no one
  Rep Whores Unite! chimp3 74 5513 July 23, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Rep Whoring thread for everyone :D Joods 180 17557 January 25, 2019 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Rep Points BrianSoddingBoru4 24 2386 December 2, 2018 at 12:12 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Time for my rep thread GrandizerII 24 2273 October 19, 2018 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Private
  The totally obnoxious, desperate, almost loving, Rep Whore thread The Valkyrie 265 24646 June 18, 2018 at 1:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  I NEED ONE MORE REP Edwardo Piet 9 1038 February 3, 2018 at 11:54 am
Last Post: shadow
  It's time for another Rep Whore thread by Joods Joods 40 3763 January 5, 2018 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Ways to get Rep points (not serious thread) GrandizerII 31 4268 December 29, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Rep The Poster Above You emjay 20 2442 October 17, 2017 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet