Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook adds 56 Gender options to choose from
I'm curious to know what anyone thinks of this. I have no religious objection to it, but annoys me greatly.

Don't get me wrong: I support gay rights, and believe the transgender community deserves the same rights as anyone else.

However, 56 gender options is ludicrous, and I can't see this as helpful to any cause other than getting attention. Thoughts?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/...tions.html
RE: Facebook adds 56 Gender options to choose from
Meh. I've been on facebook for most of five years now and the entire time, my profile has read 'female.' I never felt the need to describe myself any other way and I still don't.

But I know some people who identify outside the gender binary and if they want something else, go with it. I think 56 gender options might be a bit much, but, hey, whatever floats your boat. I'm still gonna stick with plain ol' female since I'm past 'trans' being a significant part of my identity.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
As much as I support gay marriage, and am angry that it's not in the federal domain, I can imagine that in 2075, my would-be 100th birthday, civil rights will actually become a really annoying thing. 3500 new groups will seek protection under the law. But I don't know when it should end. 56 gender options? I've never even heard of 56.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I'll worry about it when there is 56 different restrooms to choose from.
There are apparently 57 varieties of ketchup.

The thing that really surprises me is they put "Neither" as an option; not only is "neither" not applicable when there are 57 other options, but I cannot fathom the person who refuses to recognise themselves as belonging to any gender. It's one thing to think that "I have a penis, but I know I'm supposed to be a girl," and another thing to think "you know what, I'm not comfortable as either male or female, so I've just decided I'm giving up on having a gender." One of them can make sense. I really hope you can understand which one does.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(February 16, 2014 at 12:58 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: The thing that really surprises me is they put "Neither" as an option; not only is "neither" not applicable when there are 57 other options, but I cannot fathom the person who refuses to recognise themselves as belonging to any gender. It's one thing to think that "I have a penis, but I know I'm supposed to be a girl," and another thing to think "you know what, I'm not comfortable as either male or female, so I've just decided I'm giving up on having a gender." One of them can make sense. I really hope you can understand which one does.

Go look through Tumblr and you'll find plenty of people who will insist that 56 gender options on facebook aren't enough because it doesn't have an option that applies to them.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(February 16, 2014 at 12:58 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: The thing that really surprises me is they put "Neither" as an option; not only is "neither" not applicable when there are 57 other options, but I cannot fathom the person who refuses to recognise themselves as belonging to any gender. It's one thing to think that "I have a penis, but I know I'm supposed to be a girl," and another thing to think "you know what, I'm not comfortable as either male or female, so I've just decided I'm giving up on having a gender." One of them can make sense. I really hope you can understand which one does.

I get hit on through social networking sites by complete strangers. Keeping one's gender private can be a very attractive option. (And if you think the greater internet fuckwad theory doesn't have a corresponding phenomena in private communications, think again.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

"A former catering worker who identifies as neither female or male is suing Bon Appetit Management Co. for $518,000 claiming co-workers referred to the employee as a female though repeatedly being asked to stop.

Valeria Jones alleges in a lawsuit that co-workers repeatedly called Jones “miss,” “lady” and “little lady” despite explanations that Jones “was not a female or a male and that the term was unwelcome.” "

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index...ues_f.html
Facebook should learn how a textbox works. Just saying.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The next site to supposedly replace Facebook Foxaèr 3 402 September 23, 2018 at 9:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  Facebook page full of useful memes popeyespappy 3 1041 November 18, 2015 at 5:55 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  This story is being shared on Facebook, et al Easy Guns 27 4816 November 12, 2015 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Easy Guns
  Facebook or Prayer? Forsaken 7 1939 December 19, 2014 at 4:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I saw this (non religious) video on Facebook and it made me angry Drich 74 11390 August 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Looking for support for my (Libyan-Atheists) Facebook page Hot_IceCube 5 2999 April 3, 2014 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Gender-neutral marriage in Finland? Kayenneh 11 2286 March 14, 2014 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  "conservative" american facebook copy. downbeatplumb 6 2096 January 31, 2013 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Facebook Christianity Diamond 3 1329 August 7, 2012 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: Erinome
  Fox News and Facebook thesummerqueen 18 4087 August 3, 2011 at 1:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger