Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong?
Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong?
Honest question. Many of you justify your belief in the same way, and yet the results you show are vastly different and directly conflict in fundamental ways.

You have no physical evidence of your claims and you eventually resort to the supernatural, regardless of what religion you call your own, because the mailed fist of science is not designed to penetrate a world that is in no way discernible from imaginary. Yet, from that shared source, you all, even within the same belief system, pull out radically different results.

So, what's the deal?

1. What makes your claims superior to those which aren't yours?
  2. Can you empirically prove the superiority of your beliefs to anyone who doesn't share them?
  3. If the answer to the last question is no, why should anybody share your beliefs?
  4. Do you understand that theological arguments and apologetics only work on those who already believe what you do?
  5. When you proselytize to us, do you ever stop to consider that atheists aren't just rejecting your specific dogma?
RE: Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong?
1: I died.

2: If you touched me, you would be open to the accusation of molestation. I wouldn't want you to... go through that.

3: NA

4: If it didn't 'work' on the uninitiated, then what is up with those new converts, and how does religion spread?

5: Yes. But then, I am not rejecting just their absence of dogma either. I don't usually talk to atheists. I knew a doormouse once what held debates with atheists, including the cutlery and tablecloth. He was very impressive, a perfect debate win-record, as far as I had opportunity to observe.

I'd think he drowned in the tea, but... I'm not really sure. He was very small.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong?
(February 18, 2014 at 5:17 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: What makes your claims superior to those which aren't yours?

A variety of things, the top 3 being the strong emphasis on the oneness of God in Islam, the inimitable beauty of the Quran, and the perpetual increase of an unexplainable inner peace and a change of perspective that I have experienced as a result of remembering and reflecting on the words of the Quran. Fourthly, also the life and the extraordinary character of the Prophet Muhammad which many people are ignorant of today.

(February 18, 2014 at 5:17 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: Can you empirically prove the superiority of your beliefs to anyone who doesn't share them?

No, not empirically ... and I would say that demanding an empirical proof is insulting to ourselves especially when the truth is already something ingrained in us.

Islam teaches that God is closer to you than your own jugular veins.

(February 18, 2014 at 5:17 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: If the answer to the last question is no, why should anybody share your beliefs?

They don't have to and I can't force them to share my beliefs, but I guess it's just good for them if they do so. But, ultimately, each to their own.

(February 18, 2014 at 5:17 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: Do you understand that theological arguments and apologetics only work on those who already believe what you do?

Yeah, but my reason for getting into theological arguments is primarily for the sake of my own benefit and my learning. What other people think or gain from me is secondary.

I think it's also interesting when philosophy, science, psychology, and other fields become entangled with religious discussions.

(February 18, 2014 at 5:17 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: When you proselytize to us, do you ever stop to consider that atheists aren't just rejecting your specific dogma?

Yes, for that is quite obvious to me.
(February 18, 2014 at 8:37 am)Rayaan Wrote:
(February 18, 2014 at 5:17 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: What makes your claims superior to those which aren't yours?

A variety of things, the top 3 being the strong emphasis on the oneness of God in Islam, the inimitable beauty of the Quran, and the perpetual increase of an unexplainable inner peace and a change of perspective that I have experienced as a result of remembering and reflecting on the words of the Quran. Fourthly, also the life and the extraordinary character of the Prophet Muhammad which many people are ignorant of today.

(February 18, 2014 at 5:17 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: Can you empirically prove the superiority of your beliefs to anyone who doesn't share them?

No, not empirically ... and I would say that demanding an empirical proof is insulting to ourselves especially when the truth is already something ingrained in us.

Islam teaches that God is closer to you than your own jugular veins.

(February 18, 2014 at 5:17 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: If the answer to the last question is no, why should anybody share your beliefs?

They don't have to and I can't force them to share my beliefs, but I guess it's just good for them if they do so. But, ultimately, each to their own.

(February 18, 2014 at 5:17 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: Do you understand that theological arguments and apologetics only work on those who already believe what you do?

Yeah, but my reason for getting into theological arguments is primarily for the sake of my own benefit and my learning. What other people think or gain from me is secondary.

I think it's also interesting when philosophy, science, psychology, and other fields become entangled with religious discussions.

(February 18, 2014 at 5:17 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: When you proselytize to us, do you ever stop to consider that atheists aren't just rejecting your specific dogma?

Yes, for that is quite obvious to me.

Will christians go to hell?
I felt the same awakening in christian scripture, allah's homeboy. Knowing in your heart, what a load of crap. You mindless muslims don't even believe in miracles.. people miss the point on your prophet eh? When he wasn't convincing people to fuck children, he must have been a real saint. Oh, that's right.. he didn't exist.. but, too bad, because the quran still ruins the lives of many, many women.. and children, too, apparently. Great stuff. Praise him.. do you see what your religion does in the countries where it's either be a muslim or die? Do you see anything? People are afraid of muslims.. even on internet forums.. oh noes, they'll blow me up. What a retarded religion.. death is the answer for all of allah's enemies. They're against the truth! Free the world of intellectual slavery..lol BOOYA SUCK IT MUSLIMS
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.
(February 18, 2014 at 8:37 am)Rayaan Wrote:

After having read a couple of atheists' opinions regarding Islam, I have some questions for you:

1. Do you adhere to the belief that the Koran is the infallible word of Allah?
2. If so, what is your opinion of it being your Islamic duty to kill all infidels, that is clearly written on just about every page of the Koran?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
This is good. A triangular discussion.

(February 18, 2014 at 5:17 am)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote:
  1. What makes your claims superior to those which aren't yours?
  2. Can you empirically prove the superiority of your beliefs to anyone who doesn't share them?
  3. If the answer to the last question is no, why should anybody share your beliefs?
  4. Do you understand that theological arguments and apologetics only work on those who already believe what you do?
  5. When you proselytize to us, do you ever stop to consider that atheists aren't just rejecting your specific dogma?

Interesting choice of word. Would you describe your beliefs as 'superior'?

I think we're all doing the same sort of thing. We're trying to form a worldview that best fits the data. When we meet someone who doesn't share the worldview, we share data and processes to run through why we differ in our worldviews.

So from time to time I'll run some ideas past someone who disagrees with me, to check my thinking, and to invite them to check theirs.

At least that's the theory. In practice, people have all sorts of reasons for all sorts of beliefs that have little to do with reason. Jaffa cakes tend to work better than apologetics. I try to keep both in.

(February 18, 2014 at 8:37 am)Rayaan Wrote: A variety of things, the top 3 being the strong emphasis on the oneness of God in Islam, the inimitable beauty of the Quran, and the perpetual increase of an unexplainable inner peace and a change of perspective that I have experienced as a result of remembering and reflecting on the words of the Quran. Fourthly, also the life and the extraordinary character of the Prophet Muhammad which many people are ignorant of today.

This is interesting, because I've known a number of Muslims (the online ones, anyway) who think that the arguments are there for Islam. For example, the impossibility of producing one sura like that of the Quran. Things they believe are scientific knowledge in the Quran that weren't known at the time. However ISTM there is more 'suck it and see' from Muslims, whereas ISTM more common for Xians to get excited about the arguments. (Although the majority would be 'suck it and see' to at least some degree).

To both of the other sides of the 'triangle'- for me, it would be the historical argument. Getting from C1 Judaism to emerging C1 Judeo-Christianity requires an historical explanation; atheism's had hundreds of years to provide this, and we're still waiting for a plausible alternative to the rather simple explanation “What they saw is what happened”.

I'm off to buy a protractor to work out some of the angles on this triangular discussion.
Quote:A variety of things, the top 3 being the strong emphasis on the oneness of God in Islam, the inimitable beauty of the Quran, and the perpetual increase of an unexplainable inner peace and a change of perspective that I have experienced as a result of remembering and reflecting on the words of the Quran. Fourthly, also the life and the extraordinary character of the Prophet Muhammad which many people are ignorant of today.

So then, your answer to the original question is "no."
(March 16, 2014 at 11:58 am)Vicki Q Wrote: I think we're all doing the same sort of thing. We're trying to form a worldview that best fits the data. When we meet someone who doesn't share the worldview, we share data and processes to run through why we differ in our worldviews.

So from time to time I'll run some ideas past someone who disagrees with me, to check my thinking, and to invite them to check theirs.

At least that's the theory. In practice, people have all sorts of reasons for all sorts of beliefs that have little to do with reason. Jaffa cakes tend to work better than apologetics. I try to keep both in.

Nothing to disagree with here so far. In fact I really like the part I bolded and I like your attitude.

(March 16, 2014 at 11:58 am)Vicki Q Wrote: Getting from C1 Judaism to emerging C1 Judeo-Christianity requires an historical explanation; atheism's had hundreds of years to provide this, and we're still waiting for a plausible alternative to the rather simple explanation “What they saw is what happened”.

Have you tried "what they saw is what they truly but mistakingly thought they saw"? There need be no deliberate attempt to deceive for people to misinterpret what they see. Furthermore, the actual number who would have seen anything extraordinary would be miniscule in comparison to the number swept up in believing it.

I never got the memo assigning the explanation for the transition from Judaism to Christianity to atheists. I would have declined at any rate. You are of course entirely free to go on believing as you will. It is not my place to dissuade you from xtian belief.
(March 16, 2014 at 12:26 pm)whateverist Wrote: Nothing to disagree with here so far. In fact I really like the part I bolded and I like your attitude.

I spent a large part of a particularly dull meeting today preparing cutting retorts to the expected standard atheist responses. I now feel positively ashamed of myself.

Mind you, it did help to pass the time.

Quote:I never got the memo assigning the explanation for the transition from Judaism to Christianity to atheists. I would have declined at any rate.

That was me, muddling up the “Since Hume people have been trying to explain the resurrection” point with, “How do we explain the rise of early Xianity with the modified Jewish beliefs?” point.

Quote:Have you tried "what they saw is what they truly but mistakingly thought they saw"? There need be no deliberate attempt to deceive for people to misinterpret what they see. Furthermore, the actual number who would have seen anything extraordinary would be miniscule in comparison to the number swept up in believing it.

Of the many explanations, it's one of the least implausible. Anyone who thinks the disciples didn't believe they saw something huge is kidding themselves- these guys really believed they saw something life changing. That's why they went from scare to share.*

The obvious question being- what did they see?

The thing is, in C1 Judaism there was masses of language and background around seeing visions. All sorts of non-physical appearances occur in Jewish writings. That's clearly the route a “mistakenly thought” would have followed.

But that's resolutely not what the disciples claimed happened. Something came which broke bread, could be poked and ate fish. Anastasis- the emphatically physical. Not an ethereal vision. A single resurrection before the general one- completely against every belief and expectation a Jew living in C1 would possess.

If a shared vision couldn't reasonably have given rise to belief in a physical resurrection, what could?

And don't get me started on redefinition of Jewish ideas of God's Kingdom- how simple physical 'appearance' couldn't by itself have generated the change in core beliefs about Judaism. And about what must have gone on before the Passion.

Actually, come to think of it, do get me started.

What's the sig picture of?

*I did not do that. No. Wasn't me. I would never do that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11792 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 714 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theists: What is your stance on evolution? Agnostic1 118 9977 March 27, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 23992 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1561 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 6461 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 24804 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20906 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 32637 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1409 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah