Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who do you really trust?
Who do you really trust?
Christians (this is more for those who take it literally ), I have a test for you on who you trust, and its simple if i had a pill of 5 grams of Sodium Cyanide and ofter it to you to take as a test of faith would you take it?
Mans word says 100% chance of dealth! (as it 100x needed to kill you)
However God says in Mark 16:
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

So who do you really trust god who says you will be fine by believeing in him or man who says your a darwin award winner?
Just think on it.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Who do you really trust?
(February 18, 2014 at 10:18 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: So who do you really trust god who says you will be fine by believeing in him or man who says your a darwin award winner?
Just think on it.

I think most of them will end up saying that they aren't required to take said verse literally or something along those lines. After all, we do have another thread that (I think) references that same passage, or at least a similar one.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
I do "take this verse literally" when God says in Mark 16:
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

The verb "believe" here in Greek is in the aorist tense pisteusasi, which refers to those who did believe, not those who would believe at that time or in the future.

Given that I don't fit the criteria of the "them that believe" there is no conflict between "man's word" and "God's word" in this situation. I would not take the pill as it would kill me. God's words are trustworthy.

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

Something tells me you didn't figure that out all by your lonesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVUZiLFPJhc
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 19, 2014 at 12:00 am)orangebox21 Wrote: I do "take this verse literally" when God says in Mark 16:

The verb "believe" here in Greek is in the aorist tense pisteusasi, which refers to those who did believe, not those who would believe at that time or in the future.

Given that I don't fit the criteria of the "them that believe" there is no conflict between "man's word" and "God's word" in this situation. I would not take the pill as it would kill me. God's words are trustworthy.

This is a great post! Well done.
(February 18, 2014 at 10:18 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Christians (this is more for those who take it literally ), I have a test for you on who you trust, and its simple if i had a pill of 5 grams of Sodium Cyanide and ofter it to you to take as a test of faith would you take it?

So who do you really trust god who says you will be fine by believeing in him or man who says your a darwin award winner?
Just think on it.
Maybe you should start at verse 14 and look to whom Jesus was directing his comments. This was not a open forum, He was only speaking to the remaining 11 disciples.
(February 19, 2014 at 12:46 am)Drich Wrote:
(February 18, 2014 at 10:18 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: Christians (this is more for those who take it literally ), I have a test for you on who you trust, and its simple if i had a pill of 5 grams of Sodium Cyanide and ofter it to you to take as a test of faith would you take it?

Just think on it.
Maybe you should start at verse 14 and look to whom Jesus was directing his comments. This was not a open forum, He was only speaking to the remaining 11 disciples.

Another good response
Ok.

Quote:14 Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen.

15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”

19 After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God. 20 Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.

"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved"

Then it is immediately followed by "those who believe".

So the qualities of being "saved", "drive out demons", "speak in new tongues", etc. are all traits of those who "believe and is baptized".

More specifically whoever believes and is baptized.

So if only the remaining disciples have these abilities, if god is only meaning to say, "the remaining disciples who believe and are baptized" will have these qualities, then they also only have the quality of being saved as well. Everyone else? Not so much. By your own admission.

And if god really meant the text to say, "Hey, only you remaining disciples, not just whoever" then why does it not plainly say that?

Because it was mistranslated? That warrants a failure in my book. Immediate reason not to trust anything the bible says.

Because it was worded tricky? A god that uses trick questions/statements to determine whether you burn in eternal torment for eternity or paradise? Immediate reason not to trust anything the bible says.

Quote:‘Snake Salvation’ pastor from Kentucky dies from snake bite
The Associated Press
First Published Feb 17 2014 09:40 am • Last Updated Feb 17 2014 09:45 am

GOD: Haha! Tricked you! You should have discussed what I really meant! Sucker!

Is god love? Does he love us? Or does he possess qualities, that if you encountered it in another human, you would immediately denounce them as being a depraved, evil, sick, SOB? Immediate reason not to trust anything the bible says.

Or are you only doing mental gymnastics to make sense of this tripe?

Oh wait, yeah that's what you're doing.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(February 20, 2014 at 12:44 am)Rahul Wrote: Ok.

Quote:14 Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen.

15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”

19 After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God. 20 Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.

So the qualities of being "saved", "drive out demons", "speak in new tongues", etc. are all traits of those who "believe and is baptized".

So if only the remaining disciples have these abilities, if god is only meaning to say, "the remaining disciples who believe and are baptized" will have these qualities, then they also only have the quality of being saved as well. Everyone else? Not so much. By your own admission.

And if god really meant the text to say, "Hey, only you remaining disciples, not just whoever" then why does it not plainly say that?

Because it was mistranslated? That warrants a failure in my book. Immediate reason not to trust anything the bible says.

Because it was worded tricky? A god that uses trick questions/statements to determine whether you burn in eternal torment for eternity or paradise? Immediate reason not to trust anything the bible says.

Quote:‘Snake Salvation’ pastor from Kentucky dies from snake bite
The Associated Press

Is god love? Does he love us? Or does he possess qualities, that if you encountered it in another human, you would immediately denounce them as being a depraved, evil, sick, SOB? Immediate reason not to trust anything the bible says.

Or are you only doing mental gymnastics to make sense of this tripe?

Oh wait, yeah that's what you're doing.

Brilliant rebuttal.

Kudos!
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(February 20, 2014 at 12:44 am)Rahul Wrote: Ok.

14 Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen.

"In verse 16 the word "believes" is an aorist participle referring to one who has believed at some time in the past. Also baptistries, translated "is baptized," is an aorist participle but in the passive voice. This form refers to an act of outward obedience, in this case, baptism. Therefore, the translation should be, "He who believed and who was baptized shall be saved." (Key Word Study Bible KJV. AMG Publishers, pg 1259)

(February 20, 2014 at 12:44 am)Rahul Wrote: So if only the remaining disciples have these abilities, if god is only meaning to say, "the remaining disciples who believe and are baptized" will have these qualities, then they also only have the quality of being saved as well. Everyone else? Not so much. By your own admission.

That would be true if the only verses in the Bible that deal with the issue of "belief" and "being saved" was Mark 16:16-18. For example John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotton Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life." Here the verb believeth is in the present participle which expresses continuous or repeated action, without implying anything about the time of the action (in this case the belief). So all who believe in the past, in the present, and in the future will be saved.

(February 20, 2014 at 12:44 am)Rahul Wrote: And if god really meant the text to say, "Hey, only you remaining disciples, not just whoever" then why does it not plainly say that?

It does. Well not exactly as you've stated.

(February 20, 2014 at 12:44 am)Rahul Wrote: Because it was mistranslated? That warrants a failure in my book. Immediate reason not to trust anything the bible says.

That's a fallacy of composition/division. Furthermore the presumed failure would be on the translator not on the Bible. We have over 25,000 partial and complete manuscripts of the New Testament. If you have a question or concern over the proper "translation" of a given verse the resources are there for you to verify.

(February 20, 2014 at 12:44 am)Rahul Wrote: A god that uses trick questions/statements to determine whether you burn in eternal torment for eternity or paradise? Immediate reason not to trust anything the bible says.

Begging the question. God does not use trick questions/statements to determine whether a person suffers hell or is justified to glory in heaven. All who believe will be saved, those that don't will be damned.

(February 20, 2014 at 12:44 am)Rahul Wrote: ‘Snake Salvation’ pastor from Kentucky dies from snake bite
The Associated Press

It is written, "You shall not put the Lord your God to the test." It is also written, "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man."

(February 20, 2014 at 12:44 am)Rahul Wrote: Is god love? Does he love us? Or does he possess qualities, that if you encountered it in another human, you would immediately denounce them as being a depraved, evil, sick, SOB? Immediate reason not to trust anything the bible says.

Yes. Yes. Either-Or fallacy and begging the question. Not a logical conclusion.

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  South Dakota Schools required to have "In God We Trust" on their walls Cecelia 16 1754 July 29, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Fireball
Exclamation The blind trust can lead to faith theBorg 63 8568 August 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  You Cannot Trust What You Believe Davka 10 3500 January 16, 2015 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Davka
  you know i made a really good observation dyresand 88 10765 November 5, 2014 at 4:58 am
Last Post: Nintentacle
  Trust the Bible not Science Dolorian 34 7401 October 25, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why do Christians trust the Bible? RobbyPants 328 36680 October 25, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Why do Christians trust YHWH? RobbyPants 105 17183 April 10, 2014 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
Thumbs Down You know what really grinds my gears? Cobra Commander 13 2237 April 4, 2014 at 9:17 am
Last Post: ThePinsir
  Maybe that`s why people no longer trust you. Something completely different 3 1633 January 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Can bible really be interpreted as if there is no torment but you cease to exist Pel 103 40028 March 1, 2012 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Hoptoad