Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please describe what you think would make the ideal Christian?
Please describe what you think would make the ideal Christian?
Of course you should ask .. ideal for what? For me, the ideal Christian is someone I can amicably spend time with and who is an asset to the kind of community I'd want to be a member of. I don't think a world with out Christians or without atheists is a likely wish to come true. So, for atheists at least, what sort of Christian would it take to be a possible buddy and peer of the realm?

In no special order:

1) They should entertain a high degree of agnosticism toward God. Whatever they may think God is, they shouldn't be cock sure that they've got the whole answer, pure and simple. They should know their knowledge to be imperfect and not feel the bible gives them a trump card.

2) They should be able to appreciate and see the value of other people's religious orientation, or lack there of. Not just live and let live, mind you. Nope, I want my ideal Christian to sincerely believe that someone with a different religious compass may have access to just as rich of an appreciation of humanity and be just as capable of creating a meaningful life as any Christian. I'm fine with Christian's thinking their way is equal to any and best for themselves, but that is all I can allow them.

3) They should be open to all knowledge. Their curiosity for empirical fact should be unshackled from any concern for church dogma. Their mind should be as open to new knowledge as anyone else. If they wish to think it is knowledge of God's creation, then they should not assume they already know His intentions. Christianity need create no impediment to an appreciation of science, philosophy, psychology or any other discipline of the mind .. so long as they don't mistake the bible for a reference book.

4) The bible should be seen as inspirational, not as prescriptive. Furthermore, it should be acknowledged that other books can be equally inspirational - even to Christians. The bible, in the end, provides a common source for reflection on the meaning of life and what is good but, again, it is not definitive. A Christian may assume that it is God that speaks to anyone who is inspired by a good book, but they shouldn't assume that God goes only by the name they give it or that they alone know what that God wants.

There are probably a few more pertinent details but that at least is a start. Anyone else have ideas for the perfect recipe for Christians?

Edited to say how much I wish I could get rid of that question mark in the title. I am a sloppy twit.
RE: Please describe what you think would make the ideal Christian?
When I first started dating my boyfriend, it caused him a bit of a crisis of faith. He was raised Mormon and was still emotionally vested in the church, but he knew he couldn't both be Mormon and queer. Since then, he's been on a bit of a search for answers or a spiritual path that works for him; it would be easy for me to talk him into becoming an atheist, especially when you consider how passionate he is about science, but that isn't really what I want. I just want him to be able to give intelligent answers if someone were to ask him why he believes what he believes and to be able to discuss his faith, or lack thereof if he turns to atheism.

And I think that's pretty much what I'd want of anyone of any religion: I don't care so much what you believe as long as you can be intelligent about it. Idiots with shallow answers are good only for making fun of (and Spaghetti Monster knows we get plenty of those in here).
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(February 19, 2014 at 9:23 am)TaraJo Wrote: When I first started dating my boyfriend, it caused him a bit of a crisis of faith. He was raised Mormon and was still emotionally vested in the church, but he knew he couldn't both be Mormon and queer. Since then, he's been on a bit of a search for answers or a spiritual path that works for him; it would be easy for me to talk him into becoming an atheist, especially when you consider how passionate he is about science, but that isn't really what I want. I just want him to be able to give intelligent answers if someone were to ask him why he believes what he believes and to be able to discuss his faith, or lack thereof if he turns to atheism.

And I think that's pretty much what I'd want of anyone of any religion: I don't care so much what you believe as long as you can be intelligent about it. Idiots with shallow answers are good only for making fun of (and Spaghetti Monster knows we get plenty of those in here).

I think it speaks volumes about you that you would start up a relationship with a believer. Even more so that you don't use your powers of manipulation to try to turn him completely away from his religion. You are a smart one.

Frankly I'm not at all sure I could do the same. My wife is so atheist that she just doesn't see anything to discuss about it.
That seems fair. I like that list.

In which case, my ideal atheist:-

1. Not smug. You can live without a belief in a higher power. Well done but that doesn't make you special. There are probably theists who are smarter than you, nicer than you or better educated than you (as well as loads who are not of course).

2. Don't presume to know why people believe what they do. I'm sure many people turn to religion as a crutch, or because they are afraid of the dark, or for social acceptance, or out of straight up ignorance. But it's an insult to the rich variety of the human condition to think you know not just what someone believes but why.

3. Don't generalise. You know you hate it when people come up in here and tell you what you believe (because it's what Atheists believe?) Well, we do to. Theism is a wide spectrum. Best take every theist as an individual.

4. Theists should not attempt to tell anyone else how to think. Same for Atheists. We probably all hold a few irrational views whether it's the sublime excellence of our children or the bizarre and mistaken belief that mayonnaise is a food. Everyone is entitled to the space between our ears.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
[Image: The-Two-Commandments-Meme.jpg]
(February 19, 2014 at 10:59 am)No_God Wrote: [Image: The-Two-Commandments-Meme.jpg]

Nice.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Two is a nice round number. Well chosen.
There are lots of people I get along with just fine although we have differing views on any number of subjects, and/or issues that one of us may be sensitive about. We happen to respect each other enough to either avoid those subjects or discuss them with some degree of caution. It's not as if there is such a shortage of things to do or talk about that we're forced into an uncomfortable situation.

If you can respect me that much, we'll be just fine.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
My ideal christian = a closet atheist.

Wait, that's the joke answer...
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
A dead one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1012 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2765 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1294 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88911 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1948 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  Theists - I want to know what you think LadyForCamus 77 10234 May 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71769 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2160 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheists, how would you explain these Christian testimonies? miguel54 44 9415 August 28, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Does this Make Sense to You? Rhondazvous 28 5182 July 28, 2016 at 11:16 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish