Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inaccessible accessibility
Inaccessible accessibility
As we know government property must be accessible to all it's citizens. So when government funds something that's supposed to be accessible for the blind and visually impaired and learning disabled is it up to them to make sure it's properly accessible? I don't know maybe it's up to the manufacturers, or the library directors, or the librarians, or just some bloody volunteers? Okay enough pussyfooting. Here's my beef I go to the library at least three times a week, as you all know I am blind. New to being blind, so I do not read braille very well, I stick to Audiobooks. For now. (Clifford the Big Red Dog, and The Lorax are kicking my ass). So I've been trying to find a law about whose job it is to make Audiobooks more accessible whether it's through braille or auditory feedback. Because everyone's been running me in circles about whose job it is to make them more accessible. I'm going back to school in June and I don't like pulling books out at random to try to do my term papers. Here's the crap I'm dealing with

Exhibit A:

[Image: 6F088BA4-40F5-41AB-B366-9190F6927142_zpsyx2au5ch.jpg][Image: 6F088BA4-40F5-41AB-B366-9190F6927142_zpsyx2au5ch.jpg][Image: D60A74D3-607E-42DA-A732-EDA647608CC5_zps9hmoplbz.jpg]

Exhibit B:

[Image: DFEF7B73-1803-416E-8B57-E3C05FF08772_zpsuezk666r.jpg]
[Image: 024D8BB9-99A6-464C-8987-969762C60451_zpsrwbaurgq.jpg][Image: CBC2A404-D581-44C7-9F0B-93A408D2AED3_zpshhmrxaow.jpg]

What I think needs to be done:

Braille over long-term would not help anyone but the blind plus it would be probably more expensive in the long run and it would get in the way of sighted people if some of the titles were too long so I thought this was a better solution

http://www.independentliving.com/prodinf...ber=756610

http://www.maxiaids.com/products/9104/Pe...ystem.html

RE: Inaccessible accessibility
I don't have any particular insight into specific solutions, honestly I have a difficult time comprehending how people can manage as well as they are able without sight.

However, I will say this - the manner in which those audiobooks are labeled is obviously not useful to you. Do the people responsible for establishing the labeling standards not actually listen to the people that need those products? Rhetorical question.
(February 20, 2014 at 7:39 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I don't have any particular insight into specific solutions, honestly I have a difficult time comprehending how people can manage as well as they are able without sight.

However, I will say this - the manner in which those audiobooks are labeled is obviously not useful to you. Do the people responsible for establishing the labeling standards not actually listen to the people that need those products? Rhetorical question.
That's the problem nobody will admit to whose in charge of labeling
I don't know if this will be of any help to you BQ. Might be a start.

http://www.americanlibrariesmagazine.org...ake-effect

It's been a while since I dealt with ADA stuff - and when I did it was mainly for "reasonable accommodation in employment" but this article at least seems to be in the right time zone for you.
(February 20, 2014 at 7:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I don't know if this will be of any help to you BQ. Might be a start.

http://www.americanlibrariesmagazine.org...ake-effect

It's been a while since I dealt with ADA stuff - and when I did it was mainly for "reasonable accommodation in employment" but this article at least seems to be in the right time zone for you.

Thanks I will email this link to Dave *big hugs*