Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:27 pm

Poll: Told them already ?
This poll is closed.
yes
84.44%
38 84.44%
no
15.56%
7 15.56%
Total 45 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
would you tell your parents one day that you are an atheist ?
would you tell your parents one day that you are an atheist ?
For the one who already did : you are one brave human being Clap
for me : I'm one big pussy Big Grin

I would never tell my parents...ever , not even to my friends in college.
since its a muslim country , these dudez never get easy with stuff like that .

so that question is : If you haven't told your parents yet , when are you gonna tell them and why ?
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
RE: would you tell your parents one day?
My Dad knows, my mother died several years ago. I have a 'you ask, I'll tell' policy. So my Dad's side of the family knows and my mom's doesn't.
RE: would you tell your parents one day that you are an atheist ?
I didn't have to say anything. My family aren't bothered one way or another. Almost my entire family aren't really bothered by anything other than somebody being unhappy. The rest just isn't important to them. I just realized how awesome they are Big Grin
Yeah, they know and they don't care. They agree with me.
Grandma (91) doesn't believe in life after death or much of a personal god at all, but she was quite irritated that I'm an atheist because what will people say in church Big Grin
Mom probably always suspected, and was very mildly disappointed when I told her. I suspect she is one now as well though. Her main reaction was: well if you're an atheist materialist skeptic, at least we're in no danger of loosing you to some sinister cult or scientology, and that's what counts. Maybe they're both deists now on bad days, and atheist on good days.
Every now and again I'll hear my mom explaining my "views" to one of her friends on the phone when I'm over. It's quite comical. I think she does it for my benefit. They don't really know how to react any more. They've tried everything, I think they're down to just let Jesus take care of my salvation now.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I've said before that I told my mom when I was 16/17 but since then I think she's forgotten.

My dad doesn't know, but neither do I think he cares. He's way more active on facebook than my mom so if he sees my posts he could probably piece together that I'm not friendly to religion but I don't know if he would conclude that I'm an atheist.

My best friend knows, but only because I rant to her sometimes.

Other than that I have an "if it comes up I won't lie" policy, and because religion almost never comes up most people don't know. I'm not planning on telling anyone I'm an atheist, it'll just happen when it happens.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(February 21, 2014 at 1:03 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: I've said before that I told my mom when I was 16/17 but since then I think she's forgotten.

My dad doesn't know, but neither do I think he cares. He's way more active on facebook than my mom so if he sees my posts he could probably piece together that I'm not friendly to religion but I don't know if he would conclude that I'm an atheist.

My best friend knows, but only because I rant to her sometimes.

Other than that I have an "if it comes up I won't lie" policy, and because religion almost never comes up most people don't know. I'm not planning on telling anyone I'm an atheist, it'll just happen when it happens.

Everyone in my family knows of my non-beliefs.
I told my mom and she chased me around the house with a wooden spoon and beat be like jesus!!!!! Italian moms.. dont fuck with them!!
My dad was a bible beater, but he knew. He originally wrote me out of his will because of it. My mom knows, and thinks it's a phase. I think she thinks I'm perpetually 16 (I'm 37).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1431 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2708 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4451 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3192 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6511 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9057 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92688 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  What would change your mind? hyperchord24 117 20281 March 28, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3543 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7019 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist