Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:03 pm

Poll: I claim...
This poll is closed.
that God exists empirically
21.05%
4 21.05%
that I believe in God
21.05%
4 21.05%
none of the above
57.89%
11 57.89%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
From a current thread where someone is claiming that all religions claim this, I just would like to see from AF members their own position.
RE: Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
I chose the second, as that is what I would have answered when I was a believer. But if you had twisted my arm, I would have admitted that I was certain that god exists. :p
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
RE: Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
May I call your position agnostic Christianity? It seems from your posts that like many atheists, you're using some nuance in your terms. It's not unusual for an atheist to point out that atheism isn't a claim that God doesn't exist, but a state of mind in which one doesn't believe God exists. Similarly, theism is the state of mind in which one believes that at least one deity exists, and is not, in itself, a claim for existence. Most atheists seem to be agnostic atheists. Most Christians seem to be 'gnostic' Christians, but both of these could be artifacts of who talks the most about their position.

I assume you would expect an atheist to put 'none of the above' for your poll, or would you rather we not vote at all?
"Certain" is what you're encouraged to profess. I think it's biblical. Tiberius covered it well in a post about the Dawkins scale. I would say I'm certain too Smile

Well it's a question for Christians MA, but all and everything is allowed as usual. All faiths, non faiths etc etc..

I know of no gnostic Christians. I used to have "agnostic Christian" as my religious views but it caused so much confusion I dropped it.

I posted the poll just to see if there were really any gnostic Christians on here.
IMO, a person's responsibility for demonstrating the truth of thier beliefs only comes into play when attempting to convince another to adopt those beliefs.

You may not feel you're making a strong claim, and you may be right - but if you want me to believe as you do, if you don't have a way to overcome my skepticism, you aren't going to get very far.
I said nothing about the strength of the claim of belief. I believe there is an extremely strong case and that everyone should have the chance to enjoy the benefits. I'd be selfish if I didn't.

If you're not convinced then I haven't communicated the information. You have all of your own information to weight it against too. Given my knowledge, you would be convinced to believe. Given your information I would disbelieve.

Insanity I'm a slap you Big Grin

I'd say many find this a disingenuous equivocation designed to protect an irrational belief. I'm not sure what I believe, but I'm inclined to believe a theist is being more dishonest with an equivocation of this sort, than an atheist is being if their stance is likewise an equivocation.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 21, 2014 at 2:48 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I said nothing about the strength of the claim of belief.

I don't think I was clear. I was intending that to mean whether or not your claim was belief only (weak claim) vs. knowledge (strong claim). In the case of the latter, I'd not make an issue about someone's belief unless they were insistent that I believe as well.

Hope that clears it up.
If a strong belief is knowledge, and I'd agree with your definition, then I'd say that was outside of the realm of religious belief, or a worldview, an attempt at understanding purpose etc.. that is I don't think you can apply knowledge to purely mental problems, beyond helping to support the logic.

(February 21, 2014 at 2:57 pm)rasetsu Wrote:

I'd say many find this a disingenuous equivocation designed to protect an irrational belief. I'm not sure what I believe, but I'm inclined to believe a theist is being more dishonest with an equivocation of this sort, than an atheist is being if their stance is likewise an equivocation.

The atheists (as we're confining her/him here) is a base stance that forgoes thought beyond the material. To me it's dishonest not to consider the wider spectrum of human capability > that is where all religious endeavor, in my opinion, resides.
(February 21, 2014 at 6:41 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(February 21, 2014 at 2:57 pm)rasetsu Wrote: I'd say many find this a disingenuous equivocation designed to protect an irrational belief. I'm not sure what I believe, but I'm inclined to believe a theist is being more dishonest with an equivocation of this sort, than an atheist is being if their stance is likewise an equivocation.

The atheists (as we're confining her/him here) is a base stance that forgoes thought beyond the material. To me it's dishonest not to consider the wider spectrum of human capability > that is where all religious endeavor, in my opinion, resides.

I honestly can't attach any meaning to what you've said. It just sounds like a word salad, or a marketer on speed.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 34510 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8145 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 6808 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2121 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88821 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Hell, or rather my brief experience of it. Drich 206 84467 December 23, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: no one
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 4820 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8029 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If Yahweh exists, is he a fraud? Cecelia 33 5289 November 17, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Drich
  The problem with "One true church claim" by catholics Romney 8 2120 August 30, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13