Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This man reaffirms my Humanism. (no he doesn't.)
This man reaffirms my Humanism. (no he doesn't.)
I always love coming across stories, images, etc. that remind me why I'm a humanist; because the kindness of one can make the lives of hundreds better through their actions. When I'm at my worst, like I admittedly feel like at the moment (or at least close to it), things like this remind me to keep on keepin' on with it.

[Image: fdbd6f260ff668b9f9189878fba4f34b0e6605d8...a0dfe7.jpg]

EDIT: Min pointed out this story's been retooled, the guy actually gives his money to nothing but monasteries and churches. Not even a hundredth of the worth of what the story claimed he actually gave it to.
RE: This man reaffirms my Humanism.
Hmmm.... well, mainly true except for the beneficiaries.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/dobrev.asp

Quote: Photographs show Dobri Dobrev, a 98-year-old man in Sofia who collects money for the restoration of monasteries and churches.

Apparently, he pisses the money away on churches and monasteries instead of orphanages.

I wonder why the story was amended?
RE: This man reaffirms my Humanism.
"Reality is cruelest to the idealist."

Fuck.

That said, stories like this one pop up often enough. It's just THIS story's been a bit...hm...retooled.

I'll have to find an actual reaffirmation. XD

Good catch though, Min.
RE: This man reaffirms my Humanism. (no he doesn't.)
Being a skeptic means being a skeptic about EVERYTHING, man.
[Image: aint-nobody-got-time-for-that.png]

I gotta stop using memes as posts....
All you can do CoH is the best that you can do.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
LOL, I didn't see the whole image at first.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pat Doesn't Think Much of the EU Minimalist 68 9237 October 15, 2015 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: abaris
  In Italian, with subtitles....doesn't matter Minimalist 0 890 August 22, 2014 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If this doesn't get you in the Christmas spirit... BrianSoddingBoru4 3 1464 December 17, 2013 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Rev. Rye doesn't want to blow you up. Rev. Rye 0 905 April 29, 2012 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye