Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lingering superstitions?
Lingering superstitions?
Do you have any lingering superstitions? Avoid black cats? Don't open your umbrella indoors? Never stick tongue out at the back of the scary old lady you thought was a witch? Don't take coins from a dead man's pocket?
RE: Lingering superstitions?
Absolutely none.
I grew up sans religion or you might say with a mishmash of unpracticed religions, so there was no superstition in my house. That said, I read a lot and picked up a lot from movies. I developed a belief in ghosts because my mother loved nonsense and I read a lot of horror. I also developed weird fascinations with the idea of Heaven, Roman mythology, etc. None of these "superstitions" lingered past my very early years. However, I do remember a night when I was very sick and I the craziest intrusive thoughts of possession. Possession was always the creepiest subject for me. That's about as big a moment of superstition as I have had in my adult life and it was brought on by illness. Does that mean my answer is no?
Not that I'm aware of.
I try to avoid commenting on nice weather as it seems to make it start raining.

Also I believe that an infinite, ineffable, incomprehensible consciousness in some way engaged in direct communication with me in the context of a series of ancient middle eastern religious ritual and told me everything was OK.

Other than that, no. Superstitious are silly Wink
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Nope. I can read/watch supernatural horror movies, walk under ladders, break mirrors and spill salt and sleep soundly that night, one of the benefits of being an atheist.

With the exception of Slenderman related materials of course... That faceless bastard still creeps me right the fuck out.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
The Arrival is a shit scary game.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
I try not to walk under ladders, but that's mainly down to not wanting a ladder- or anything high up on one- to fall on me as I'm walking by. Tongue I've seen too many of my family's derpy lineage fall off of ladders that were "totally safe" to not think of them as something of a hazard.

Sometimes superstitions have a basis in practicality! Big Grin
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I've often been known to walk under a ladder while breaking the mirror bearing the reflection of the black cat crossing my path.

So far, so good.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 23, 2014 at 3:22 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Do you have any lingering superstitions? Avoid black cats? Don't open your umbrella indoors? Never stick tongue out at the back of the scary old lady you thought was a witch? Don't take coins from a dead man's pocket?

Nope.