Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 12:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is very, VERY hard.
Atheism is very, VERY hard.
Hello :) I'm new here. I didn't know how to introduce myself but ya.
Well, I'm an atheist, a teen atheist from a christian home and its become super hard. I can't deal with the fact that I'm just going to die. I can't deal with the fact that when I'm on my own, I'm truly alone and nobody will be watching me from above. Without religion, where's the moral code?
What if this god dude is real? I'll be in hell. Hell is scary.
I guess I've joined to see people who share the same beleif that Religion/God is NOT the only way to peace, happiness, life fulfillment etc. I want to debunk the myth that all atheist are depressed because they're lonley and will just turn to dust when they die. Sorry this is really long, thank you.
RE: Atheism is very, VERY hard.
Not overlong at all.

Good luck Bro. You're a braver man than me.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Quote:Well, I'm an atheist, a teen atheist from a christian home and its become super hard.

It gets easier with time.

But 'god' never becomes any more real. Primitive superstition never does.
(February 23, 2014 at 4:47 pm)LittleAFish Wrote: Hello Smile I'm new here. I didn't know how to introduce myself but ya.
Well, I'm an atheist, a teen atheist from a christian home and its become super hard. I can't deal with the fact that I'm just going to die. I can't deal with the fact that when I'm on my own, I'm truly alone and nobody will be watching me from above. Without religion, where's the moral code?
What if this god dude is real? I'll be in hell. Hell is scary.
I guess I've joined to see people who share the same beleif that Religion/God is NOT the only way to peace, happiness, life fulfillment etc. I want to debunk the myth that all atheist are depressed because they're lonley and will just turn to dust when they die. Sorry this is really long, thank you.

Fear tactics are one of the ways many within religions keep control over others - particularly the threat of torment.

I know people who have been atheists for years who still struggle with it.

The best way to oversome the feelings you're having is to talk to others about it.

Coming here is a good start.
Dying to live, living to die.
Even if God were real, hell wouldn't necessarily be real anyway. Hell is a minority belief even among theists. Doesn't matter anyway, since God isn't real.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Welcome to the forum. I was raised religious and the idea of Hell used to terrify the crap out of me. I certainly seriously believed in it for most of my life.

But it's bullshit. Make believe. Freaking fairy tale. I quite believing in hell before I quit believing in god.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Welcome.

As Beccs said, fear of hell/torment is one of the ways some (though not all) theists try to keep you in line. The older you get the more you will see that such threats aren't the only means of manipulation they have. Fear of being shunned by friends and family is another. Denigration of reason and honest searching that doesn't lead to the conclusions they'd like you to reach is yet another. The Bible is stuffed with verses designed to short circuit honest inquiry and skepticism. They'll try to instill feelings of guilt (think of poor Jesus and how he must suffer to know you reject his precious gift, etc.). It can be difficult for some people to push through such manipulation to see it for what it is, but it gets easier with time.

Meanwhile, read as many good books as you can and feel free to ask as many questions as you wish. There are a lot of people here who went through the same thing you are now, and they're happy to help. Good luck.
Welcome!

As Min said, it does become easier. I was in my early 20's when I really came out to my parents, and now that I'm 29, I think my mom is finally realizing I am serious.
Hey,

There have been thousands of different religious myths in history, the one you were raised in is just one more, and the hell story one more mechanism the religion meme has evolved because it keeps believers in line. Just one more story of thousands, it just seems so real to you because of where you and your family were born and raised. It's become deeply embedded in your mind because that's how religion memes multiply. You'll slowly get over it. I know people who have, they feared hell every night in their childhood and completely got over it.
Welcome aboard! Take a seat.
[Image: 4758160066_53153017ff_z.jpg]
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Being an Atheist Teen is hard... spikedhair95 17 5777 October 2, 2012 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Polaris