Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your funeral songs
Your funeral songs
So I'm helping a friend plan her mum's funeral (as designated Christian Dodgy. Struggling with hymns / songs. She's after upbeat, but not TOO religious.

What do you want played at your funeral. And please, always look On the bright side is virtually a given!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
RE: Your funeral songs

Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Johannes Brahms, who was probably a deist or even atheist, wrote a "requiem for the living",
his German Requiem. He used his excellent knowledge of scripture to compile a selection
of dogma-free verses from the German bible, and the greatest and ridiculously morbid part is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6zpVsGbvNo

For all flesh is as grass,
and all the glory of man as the flower of grass.
The grass withereth,
and the flower thereof falleth away.

One of the most haunting and at the same time uplifting pieces of music for me is
the beginning of Schumann's violin concerto, which he wrote while descending
into syphillis-induced madness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtINAG2nJOI
At my funeral I want them to play the Hugh Laurie version of "Changes" (Loud) from his album Didnt it Rain Its perfect... starts slow and then bursts into an up tempo jazz thing. And I have made it clear that I will be dead.. not resting, sleeping, past away... just dead! Devil
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

My best friend and I have agreed that we'll both have "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas as our funeral song.
It's So Hard To Say Goodbye to Yesterday by Boyz II Men. Cliche as hell, but it's my funeral. Oh, and The Who's Rain O'er Me as well.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

No?
high way to hell by (AC/DC) ......It fits the occasion Big Grin.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
That was fantastic. And awful. But fantastic.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite TV Theme Songs Thumpalumpacus 61 2826 September 2, 2023 at 10:03 am
Last Post: zwanzig
  Funeral or reveal party? c172 57 7350 August 14, 2023 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Cannabis songs brewer 11 839 October 12, 2021 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Breakup Songs brewer 15 1378 January 1, 2020 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Songs from the Dead brewer 22 2360 June 29, 2019 at 6:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What's your favourite songs with sax in it? Little lunch 32 2763 June 20, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Worst Love Songs brewer 2 847 January 21, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Cod
  Songs That Sound Like They're From The 80's But Aren't Actually From The 80's Edwardo Piet 0 589 December 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What would you play at your funeral Amarok 38 3115 December 17, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Chas
  "Teen"age songs brewer 60 5945 July 27, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Faith No More