Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inappropriate Displays of Affection Between Family Members
Inappropriate Displays of Affection Between Family Members
Okay, so for me, it's weird when family members kiss each other on the lips, unless they're husband and wife, but I see people do this all the time. Am I the only one that finds this uncomfortable?
RE: Inappropriate Displays of Affection Between Family Members
U mean like just a peck or something?
(February 24, 2014 at 7:45 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: U mean like just a peck or something?
Yeah, but it's on the lips. Like, I just think that within a family, the appropriate kiss locations are cheek and forehead.
It's awkward. My mom does it. I go for the cheek and she's going for the lips. A hug will suffice in any other circumstance, but I'll always have a kiss for my mom. But on the cheek.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
If it's their choice, why are you concerned about it? I find it uncomfortable because it's unusual. Is there anything wrong with it? No.
(February 24, 2014 at 7:52 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: If it's their choice, why are you concerned about it? I find it uncomfortable because it's unusual. Is there anything wrong with it? No.
It just gives me the heebie jeebies.
(February 24, 2014 at 7:46 pm)futilethewinds Wrote:
(February 24, 2014 at 7:45 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: U mean like just a peck or something?
Yeah, but it's on the lips. Like, I just think that within a family, the appropriate kiss locations are cheek and forehead.
I prefer not to but it doesn't bother me really
(February 24, 2014 at 7:47 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: It's awkward. My mom does it. I go for the cheek and she's going for the lips. A hug will suffice in any other circumstance, but I'll always have a kiss for my mom. But on the cheek.

And here I think it's a little bizarre that someone would have a problem giving their mother a peck on the lips when greeting her.

I suppose it comes down to the environment in which we were each raised.
I don't kiss any family members, the older generation of my family does it to each other though.
As someone who grew up in a lip-kissing family it never struck me as strange until someone in college mentioned that they thought it was weird.

To be honest, lip-kissing was far less weird than my mom rubbing her hand on my butt. That weirded me out! I don't know if she thinks it was affectionate or what but it was freaky. Luckily she doesn't do it anymore.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Odd family sayings zebo-the-fat 12 787 August 10, 2023 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 673 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Expanding My Family ABQ505 10 1044 April 27, 2022 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Things your family/friends have done you wish. Brian37 5 481 October 19, 2021 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists reminds me of meathead from "All in the family" TV sitcom Lambe7 14 669 July 29, 2020 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Family Resemblances? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 2052 May 14, 2019 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Jeopardy categories where AF members are the answer Mr.Obvious 30 3003 March 29, 2019 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Forum members compatibilty thread ignoramus 154 19650 April 23, 2018 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Find out how much your fellow forum members are getting screwed Catholic_Lady 68 7099 April 13, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Do We Have AF Members in Spain (Who Might Want to Meet Us) Jenny A 3 1280 April 2, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: pocaracas