Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleep paralysis
Sleep paralysis
Its a scary fucked up experience ...

who had it ? and what did you feel like ?

For the ones who don't know what it is :
"Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which people, either when falling asleep or wakening, temporarily experience an inability to move (being paralyzed). More formally, it is a transition state between wakefulness and rest characterized by complete muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It can occur at sleep onset or upon awakening, and it is often associated with terrifying visions (e.g. an intruder in the room), to which one is unable to react due to paralysis." -Wikipedia
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
RE: Sleep paralysis
I had three bouts of this when I was 14 and it made me absurdly terrified. To the point I refused to entertain sleep in case it should happen again.

It is awful.

I've heard it described as old hag syndrome. Google that. Never sleep.

Eyes wide open, laid flat on my back. I remember trying to get up and realising nothing was happening. It dawned on me at this point that something was quite wrong. The worst development being that I tried to shout my parents...and NOTHING came out of my mouth. I could feel my muscles were like lead and even trying to lift my arm was surreal.

It took 3 minutes or so before I could even begin to get out of the bed.

I have never had the visions aassociated with it, but can imagine that such an occurrence would simply scar you.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
(February 25, 2014 at 7:09 pm)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote: I had three bouts of this when I was 14 and it made me absurdly terrified. To the point I refused to entertain sleep in case it should happen again.

It is awful.

I've heard it described as old hag syndrome. Google that. Never sleep.

you got that right , it is awful . Its worse than the worst nightmare ever .
I had lots and loooots of them when I was younger .

I once had like 5 sleep paralysis in a row in the same night . I wake up terrified and then sleep hoping to not happen again and I woke up terrified again and I was like : "plz , god prevent this shit" (I was relegious back then ) Big Grin
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
It's happened to me once, complete with visual hallucinations - this was a couple of years ago. I was fortunate in that I was not alone at the time, and was (eventually) convinced that the experience was not "real".

The visual experience felt horrifyingly real, and it would have likely been much worse had I not been able to conclude that it wasn't real.
I've had sleep paralysis a few times, but thankfully never with hallucinations.

My sister suffers from it quite often, along with night terrors. She sees people come into the room and they say horrible things and then they physically hurt her. She can actually feel the pain, too. Poor thing used to sleep in my room for a few nights (sometimes weeks) after a bad one because she'd be too scared to sleep alone when she lived with me.
When I first read this I read, "Sheep Paralysis" and was going to ask if this is a new dating technique in New Zealand?

D'oh!

Yes, I've had sleep paralysis once or twice and it is a damned scary experience.
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 25, 2014 at 7:30 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: I've had sleep paralysis a few times, but thankfully never with hallucinations.

My sister suffers from it quite often, along with night terrors. She sees people come into the room and they say horrible things and then they physically hurt her. She can actually feel the pain, too. Poor thing used to sleep in my room for a few nights (sometimes weeks) after a bad one because she'd be too scared to sleep alone when she lived with me.

That's dreadful. It's bade enough without the hallucinations.

That is just appalling to consider.

Poor darling.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
I had it once - I was about 30. I thought I was having a heart attack.

It is suspected in a lot of these alien "abduction" scenarios.
Never had it. Although just reading you guys' posts, my anxiety level went up. That sounds absolutely intolerable.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 25, 2014 at 7:57 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Never had it. Although just reading you guys' posts, my anxiety level went up. That sounds absolutely intolerable.

This.

I've always thought it would be interesting to experience just once, but now I'm hoping I never ever ever experience it. Especially the hallucination part.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Happy feetz can't sleep no one 2 292 May 20, 2021 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: no one
  Sleep deprived J a c k 20 1464 December 31, 2017 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How many pillows do you sleep with, how do you use them & which can't you do without? Whateverist 31 2229 September 29, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Joods
  Home sleep aids? Losty 40 3665 April 20, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  If you could remove your need for sleep, would you? Ashground 31 3791 November 12, 2015 at 6:08 am
Last Post: Reforged
  What position do you sleep in? Norman Humann 36 4888 March 10, 2015 at 12:05 am
Last Post: IATIA
Question Sleep Injuries... WTF? ShaMan 26 4090 June 17, 2014 at 7:56 am
Last Post: John V
  Do you sleep with the light on? frz 23 7362 April 20, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: JosephBowie
  Sleep OnlyNatural 21 4076 February 15, 2011 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Polyphasic Sleep Rob 61 16282 October 17, 2009 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: Rob