Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 11:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Slavery (on Thursdays)
Slavery (on Thursdays)
I've started a new tradition of sorts. I call it "Thor's Day". Every Thursday I post s lot of atheism-related stuff on Facebook. I'm trying to stick to a theme each week, too. Last week was misogyny. I posted a few verses that said women had to submit, yada yada, you've all heard it before.

Of course, a lot of Christians tap danced the Hell out of it. And supposedly some stuff was mistranslated (a wonder that no "good" verses are ever mistranslated lol). So, to try to stay intellectually honest, I promised I'd do more research before next Thor's Day's topic.

This Thursday I want to do slavery. I'm wondering if, by chance, any of you (believer or heathen alike) are aware of any mistranslations or misinterpretations of the "slavery verses"? I plan to do some research on my own, but figure this is a good place to start.

Also, what are the typical Christian defenses of biblical slavery, and what's the best way to counter them?

If Ima be "that guy" on FB, I wanna have my facts straight and prepared for anything.

Thanks a million for any good replies.
RE: Slavery (on Thursdays)
Oh, so you don't actually want to go to the trouble of doing the research yourself, you want us to do it for your lazy ass.
Yup...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 25, 2014 at 10:58 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Oh, so you don't actually want to go to the trouble of doing the research yourself, you want us to do it for your lazy ass.

I literally said I was going to...
I figure you guys have already dealt with the issue before. If not, whatever.
Just tell those Christians that they are morally bankrupt if they say that slavery was needed back then
Leviticus 25:44-46
(February 25, 2014 at 10:56 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: I've started a new tradition of sorts. I call it "Thor's Day". Every Thursday I post s lot of atheism-related stuff on Facebook. I'm trying to stick to a theme each week, too. Last week was misogyny. I posted a few verses that said women had to submit, yada yada, you've all heard it before.

Of course, a lot of Christians tap danced the Hell out of it. And supposedly some stuff was mistranslated (a wonder that no "good" verses are ever mistranslated lol). So, to try to stay intellectually honest, I promised I'd do more research before next Thor's Day's topic.

This Thursday I want to do slavery. I'm wondering if, by chance, any of you (believer or heathen alike) are aware of any mistranslations or misinterpretations of the "slavery verses"? I plan to do some research on my own, but figure this is a good place to start.

Also, what are the typical Christian defenses of biblical slavery, and what's the best way to counter them?

If Ima be "that guy" on FB, I wanna have my facts straight and prepared for anything.

slavery comes in many forms, physically or spiritually. For instance everyone issued a birth certificate is enslaved.

so what point is there to arguing about what the bible says about slavery when you are a slave(assuming you have a birth certificate)yourself.

(February 26, 2014 at 5:08 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(February 25, 2014 at 10:56 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: I've started a new tradition of sorts. I call it "Thor's Day". Every Thursday I post s lot of atheism-related stuff on Facebook. I'm trying to stick to a theme each week, too. Last week was misogyny. I posted a few verses that said women had to submit, yada yada, you've all heard it before.

slavery comes in many forms, physically or spiritually. For instance everyone issued a birth certificate is enslaved.

so what point is there to arguing about what the bible says about slavery when you are a slave(assuming you have a birth certificate)yourself.

Dont let a good mind go to waste... wink wink..
Wow Huggy, you are suuuuuuuuuuper crazy.
Tell them to suck a fat one...
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 35810 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
Video The Bible and Slavery - Kyle Butt IanHulett 12 3128 September 3, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why Do We Think Slavery is Evil? Rhondazvous 96 16556 July 3, 2015 at 3:24 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Slavery and eating animals Grasshopper 124 14659 February 7, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why the Bible Doesn't Condemn Slavery Lek 73 17961 January 8, 2015 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Christians celebrate rape, torture, slavery and genocide. Ryantology 351 206180 November 22, 2012 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Darth
  Does the Bible promote slavery? nazra7 91 30288 July 27, 2012 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Bible and slavery everythingafter 59 18386 July 19, 2011 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Epimethean