Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Personal Prophecy Question
Christian Personal Prophecy Question
I had a friend come back from a christian camp last weekend, where she got baptized into the faith. She came around to tell me all about her experiences. She went on and on about how people in her group (without talking to one another) told her things that god wants her to know about herself and her life, etc. She told me some of the stuff, and I had to laugh inside. It's the same stuff they told me when I was still a christian, and a lot of it is so vague that it could be used for anyone. I should also mention that all the things I was told about my future life, turned out to be a) vague and b) a bunch of crap that hasn't, nor will now ever happen.

Anyway, so she was telling me these things and said that she really believes it's from god, because they were similar to one another and they didn't speak to each other about these things. I didn't say much, she was on that weird christian high (which will only last a few weeks, if not days before she falls back down to earth). Oh, and don't even get me started on the hypocrisy in the bible saying going to fortune tellers and things like that are wrong. Christians do it too, only they call it prophecy. I don't see the difference, you're still having someone tell you things in the future or about your current life/self. But I digress.

I now regret not saying anything, but wanted to find out what your thoughts are on personal prophecy, so I can use that to tell her (if I decide to). From research and scientific findings that I've read and come across, I've found out that our subconscious can communicate (and pick up signals, images and words) from others in close proximity to us. So that can be the "god" they all got the same stuff from. The subconscious is powerful, as I have found myself, and can fool you into believing crap that was never there to begin with. What are your thoughts on this, and any other explanations that I can give her? I guess since I'm a relatively new deconvert, I would also like some additional explanations if you have any.
RE: Christian Personal Prophecy Question
I think you can make the things you want happen if you apply yourself. Our actions affect countless people and sometimes other people's actions control our lives.

As for prophecy the Bible says that anyone can be a prophet if he wants to be one. Of course a person can end up striking out but he has the rest of his life for his prophecies to come true. If they don't come true while he's alive then he was a false prophet.
I agree that it's superstition too. If the person is very clever/ inspired they can make any prediction open enough to always be correct. Those things have to be taken with a certain assumption, and of course if you change your perspective (disbelieve rather than believe) then your understanding of them has to change too.

It's insensitive/ neive of your friend to relate that to you as a unbeliever, as it can only come across as superstition.
A great example of this is the second half (from about 4:25) of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSPto8rvvs

The believer thinks that the medium only said 6 names, in fact she gave 37 and two lots of "starts with an L". If you want to believe, you will accept whatever is said that fits and ignore the misses. What how the believer jumps to defend the medium even when clear evidence is presented that nearly 40 names were presented. This may be out of embarassment, or just the sheer will to believe. Just like religion, the believer would rather try and justify the belief rather than admit they have been conned.

It sickens me that these conmen are allowed to keep on doing this and charging money. Just as the church does, they exploit their clients emotions for monetary gain.
Wow! Thanks for the responses and the video. I needed that extra little bit of info.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prophecy doesn't make sense zwanzig 26 2400 March 12, 2021 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Proof of Jesus through Personal testimony. Christianity over other faiths orthodox-man 46 8171 January 29, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7731 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Personal relationships with deities robvalue 540 64928 January 4, 2016 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Personal Angel of Death? brewer 11 3353 January 2, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The argument from personal discomfort robvalue 23 4665 November 12, 2015 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Information on failed prophecy KUSA 9 1783 June 26, 2014 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Bible Prophecy... Is This For Real???... AT7iLA 22 5604 March 4, 2014 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  An interesting view from Isaac Newton on prophecy professor 1 1512 October 20, 2013 at 10:11 am
Last Post: Something completely different
  PERSONAL BELIEF QUIZ Gooders1002 22 7955 May 7, 2012 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Annik