Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greets.
Greets.
Hello all, believers and non. I've been reading the forums for a while, initially sent here from FSTDT as I'm sure more than a few others have been.

Honestly I wanted to go poe, was even going to use an EA Sports logo for my avatar, but quality intellectual discourse can be hard to find, and there seems to be a home for it here so.......

My religulous upbringing was to have an Episcopalian side with my father, and a Jewish side with my mother. In my early childhood both my parents were hippie (not the burnout junkie kind) Buddhists. Rents got divorced when I was but a wee child.

Grandparents on pop's side were both Reverends in the church and had a parish, VERY tolerant of others religions. I went to church when we would visit there, but they never said that what my mom's family believed was in error.

Mom 'found' Judaism again when I got a bit older and so I was trucked off to Hebrew school 2 nights a week where we all learned how to read Hebrew, studied the old testament, and didn't knock other religions, just ignored them. Had my Bar Mitzvah, la la la. Mom never knocked the beliefs of Dad's family either.

I had been a weak deist since I can remember being able to grasp the concept, my apologetic was the whole 'god is a diamond, each religion captures one facet' and such. Eventually when I decided I wasn't concerned with being nice and holding a belief so as not to offend others rather than what just seemed kind of obvious I went atheist, 6.9 on the Dawkins scale at around the age of 12 or so.

That somewhat ponderous introduction out of the way, I'm hoping to get a few things from you folks, mainly a honing of my positions so they withstand the type of scrutiny any well held position must if you want to claim it's well held, and a refinement of my argumentation skills in general. I think I use good logic, I think I avoid fallacies, I KNOW my own bias makes the chances of that being true 100% of the time less than accurate.

Cheers!
RE: Greets.
Hi! Welcome I hope you have a good time here!
Welcome!
Your background is really interesting, I hope you enjoy the forums here. Smile
Welcome. Good luck becoming a first rate spokesman for your beliefs. Wink
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Cracking way to kick off your contributions. You sound like a very educated person.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
Shalom.
Welcome and enjoy, oh almost-poe.
Best introduction I've read in quite some time. Welcome.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^

I agree with Mr. Moncrieff and Boru, what a lovely introduction, I think you'll do well here. Though, I have to say, your avatar freaks me out a bit.. Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greets! Haswell 23 2151 July 31, 2014 at 1:34 am
Last Post: ignoramus