Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the signs of emotional abuse?
What are the signs of emotional abuse?
Abusive Expectations - Makes impossible demands, requires constant attention, and constantly criticizes.

God's OT law was deliberately designed to be impossible to fulfill. God requires complete devotion, and never lets you forget your inferiority and wickedness.

Aggressing - Name calling, accusing, blames, threatens or gives orders, and often disguised as a judgmental “I know best” or “helping” attitude.

Far too many examples to list. Basically sums up God in a nutshell.

Constant Chaos - Deliberately starts arguments with you or others. May treat you well in front of others, but changes when you’re alone.

See: aggression of Israel, Tower of Babel, the entrapment of Adam and Eve.

Rejecting - Refusing to acknowledge a person’s value, worth or presence. Communicating that he or she is useless or inferior or devaluing his or her thoughts and feelings.

One of the most persistent themes in Christianity is the utter worthlessness of human life compared to God's righteousness.

Denying - Denies personal needs (especially when need is greatest) with the intent of causing hurt or as punishment. Uses silent treatment as punishment. Denies certain events happened or things that were said. Denies your perceptions, memory and sanity by disallowing any viewpoints other than their own which causes self-doubt, confusion, and loss of self-esteem.

There's not enough internet to hold all the examples of this. It happens thousands of
times every single minute of every single day and to every single person.

Degrading - Any behavior that diminishes the identity, worth or dignity of the person such as: name-calling, mocking, teasing, insulting, ridiculing,

You are a wicked sinner who doesn't deserve salvation. But I love you.

Emotional Blackmail - Uses guilt, compassion, or fear to get what he or she wants.

If you devote your life, heart and mind and body to me, I'll save you. If not, you can go to hell.

Terrorizing - Inducing intense fear or terror in a person, by threats or coercion.

See: Hell, plus numerous lesser examples of terror-based inducement in the OT.

Invalidation - Attempts to distort your perception of the world by refusing to acknowledge your personal reality. Says that your emotions and perceptions aren’t real and shouldn’t be trusted.

Not so much that your emotions and feelings aren't real. They just don't matter. Only God's will does.

Isolating - Reducing or restricting freedom and normal contact with others.

The Pentateuch has several long and horrifying lists of arbitrary restrictions of freedom.

Corrupting - Convincing a person to accept and engage in illegal activities.

Certainly, a great many activities that any normal human being would consider repugnant, and would be outlawed almost anywhere, but an interesting situation since the corrupter claims ultimate authority.

Exploiting - Using a person for advantage or profit.

All a part of God's plan. We don't even get to know what it is, or the point of it.

Minimizing - A less extreme form of denial that trivializes something you’ve expressed as unimportant or inconsequential.

"Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?"

Unpredictable Responses - Gets angry and upset in a situation that would normally not warrant a response. You walk around on eggshells to avoid any unnecessary drama over innocent comments you make. Drastic mood swings and outbursts.

How many people in the OT had their blood spilled for sins they were never even aware they were committing? How many had their blood spilled just because they had the bad luck to be born and living in a community that had a handful of people who pissed God off?
RE: What are the signs of emotional abuse?
This post should have started with a trigger warning. Thanks for reminding me of the terror I lived in from the ages of 3-8.
Same here.

In the name of religion of course! Dodgy
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
OK - so Christian definition of perfection is a little bit different from yours, big deal!

Aside from the odd genocidal tendency, the wrath, the jealousy, the Pride and the astonishing vanity, the unreasonable demands, the ludicrously complex rules, the desperate need to be loved, the commandments to love him, the threats if he doesn't get his way, the odd flood, the creation of Hell and the fact that 1/3rd of his angles buggered off at the first opportunity God is a really decent guy who wants to forgive you (for crimes you haven't committed or are unaware are crimes).
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
I didn't think anything here was specific enough to act as a trigger. If so, I apologize. Unfortunately, I can't edit the post now to add a warning.
I've heard it said, and even said it myself, that this "relationship" we're supposed to have with Jesus/Yahweh is not a healthy one. It is one of the slave and the master. Though there are claims that Yahweh is so much better than us, actions speak louder than words, and they don't speak well of him.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 151 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1201 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1099 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Birmingham Archdiocese 'ignored abuse to protect reputation' zebo-the-fat 6 1152 June 21, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: squidfetish
  Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse zebo-the-fat 27 3317 April 17, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Chile abuse priest Fernando Karadima removed by Vatican zebo-the-fat 2 882 September 28, 2018 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3548 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Sexual abuse in the Catholic church. How widespread is it? Graufreud 26 2104 August 14, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 26339 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Victims 'told not to report' Jehovah's Witness child abuse zebo-the-fat 13 2735 November 20, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician