Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there anything new under the sun to say about religion?
Is there anything new under the sun to say about religion?
I'm no good at coming up with them myself but I'll know one when I see it.

Please no more "how can the bible say xxx and yet Christians believe yyy". Boring.

Likewise no more reiterations of standard Christian apologetics. If you're a xtian and have just stumbled onto a real zinger, trust me, we've seen it before, it's garbage. Spare us.

Maybe something authentic about how/why xtians make the jump from "I feel God's presence" to "ahh, here you go. That must be the God spoken of right here in this bible".

Or, on the other side, what really does it matter if some folks want to go on believing in gods? Is anything of consequence actually at stake? Does anyone really think removing xtian bullshit would do anything other than create a vacuum into which other bullshit would rush?

How about a poll on whether people think the human race is on a trajectory of 'progress'? I don't see it but I wonder how many people think they do.

Perhaps I'm just fresh out of shits to give about religion for or against.

Anybody got something fresh? Little help here.
RE: Is there anything new under the sun to say about religion?
Quote:Or, on the other side, what really does it matter if some folks want to go on believing in gods?

The fuckers keep annoying the rest of us about their bullshit. If they would quietly go believe in whatever-the-fuck they like it would be no skin off my nose.
(February 28, 2014 at 12:08 pm)whateverist Wrote: Or, on the other side, what really does it matter if some folks want to go on believing in gods? Is anything of consequence actually at stake? Does anyone really think removing xtian bullshit would do anything other than create a vacuum into which other bullshit would rush?

They use it to legislate and discriminate. They try to force it into public school and undermine real science. They use to as an excuse to blow up buildings and bomb brown people.

Yeah, plenty of things of consequence are at stake.
No, there is nothing new to be said about it. I will say the more humans that are taught evolution and also the psychology behind why people believe false things, the better off we will be.
DeistPaladin had suggested a stickied thread with links to the more common topics that we see when some theist joins because he thought he had a killer point to make. I recall that it basically got filibustered into nothingness.

I am more disappointed that once we get past the initial trading of ideas and thoughts, we almost always fall into one of two patterns. Either the theist goes into Preach Mode or into Gaps Mode, or some version thereof. I think it might be all that is left. Being told that, in effect, we cannot possibly ever prove god is an admission of defeat for many of us who spent a very long time trying to find god and reaching that conclusion ourselves. To me, someone who tells me that we can never prove god is just a step away from realizing that they are atheists, too.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(February 28, 2014 at 2:02 pm)Tonus Wrote: To me, someone who tells me that we can never prove god is just a step away from realizing that they are atheists, too.

I don't see Christianity's philosopher-in-chief Alvin Plantinga admitting as much anytime soon, though he's happy to admit that there is no way to prove that his God resides anywhere beyond his fuzzy mental construct.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I think the most important battles happen inside. Forum wide battles matter little to the individual moments in a theist or atheist's life. Though they can serve as stepping stones, the person stepping has to choose which river to cross. I think there's a myth that religious belief is just a wall that, if torn down, brick at a time, will reveal an atheist. I think that may be the path for many. It's also the path for many that they are building their own structures out of the raw material of their lives. For some, this is away from gods. For some, this is away from spooks and pseudoscience. For some, this is towards new gods. And for many, this is towards a deeper love of the god they've already found. It's not a tug of war. It's a race with all people headed different directions. Maybe that's why the finish line is so hard to find.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 2, 2014 at 12:50 am)rasetsu Wrote: I think the most important battles happen inside. Forum wide battles matter little to the individual moments in a theist or atheist's life. Though they can serve as stepping stones, the person stepping has to choose which river to cross. I think there's a myth that religious belief is just a wall that, if torn down, brick at a time, will reveal an atheist. I think that may be the path for many. It's also the path for many that they are building their own structures out of the raw material of their lives. For some, this is away from gods. For some, this is away from spooks and pseudoscience. For some, this is towards new gods. And for many, this is towards a deeper love of the god they've already found. It's not a tug of war. It's a race with all people headed different directions. Maybe that's why the finish line is so hard to find.

*hugs*

Thank you. That was refreshing.
(March 2, 2014 at 12:50 am)rasetsu Wrote: I think the most important battles happen inside. Forum wide battles matter little to the individual moments in a theist or atheist's life. Though they can serve as stepping stones, the person stepping has to choose which river to cross. I think there's a myth that religious belief is just a wall that, if torn down, brick at a time, will reveal an atheist. I think that may be the path for many. It's also the path for many that they are building their own structures out of the raw material of their lives. For some, this is away from gods. For some, this is away from spooks and pseudoscience. For some, this is towards new gods. And for many, this is towards a deeper love of the god they've already found. It's not a tug of war. It's a race with all people headed different directions. Maybe that's why the finish line is so hard to find.

Except some directions lead to actual progress while others don't. Example: see middle east.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I feel like I should have something really profound to say, but I've got nothing.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders Data 45 1749 September 18, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1348 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5310 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2280 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
  The death of the Sun and Jesus' Second Coming. Jehanne 13 1750 October 30, 2018 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 1981 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Miracle of the Sun. Jehanne 9 1411 August 20, 2018 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1735 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  God is completely inadequate to explain anything whatsoever Whateverist 20 2924 March 14, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7275 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay