Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's say the multiverse theory is true, how would a Christian insert God...?
Let's say the multiverse theory is true, how would a Christian insert God...?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

The multiverse (or meta-universe) is the hypothetical set of infinite or finite possible universes (including the historical universe we consistently experience) that together comprise everything that exists and can exist: the entirety of space, time, matter, and energy as well as the physical laws and constants that describe them. The various universes within the multiverse are sometimes called parallel universes.

The theory goes, in simple terms, that billions of universes exist in a space outside that of which we perceive our universe to "be in." That would explain what out universe is expanding into.

In other words, our expanding universe, with its billions upon billions of stars, galaxies and systems, is actually only one of billions and billions of other universes.

Because the laws of physics determine that matter must behave in a certain way, the theory considers that of all of these billions of universes, almost every one would be near identical to ours aside from minute changes. We may even exist in slightly different contexts, but look and sound and otherwise appear to be the same.

The theory goes that if these universes are so numerous, there would almost certainly be one that is so startling similar to ours, that it would be a perfect clone. This is a matter of simple odds.

The crux of my question being, if this theory was proven true, surely it would be almost impossible to posit the existence of God?
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
RE: Let's say the multiverse theory is true, how would a Christian insert God...?
Why?

Say a parallel human race had an entirely different religious expression. I would expect an equally cogent model from both. Both would be essentially identical in conclusion, or one would be better, and we'd adopt the best.

RE: Let's say the multiverse theory is true, how would a Christian insert God...?
To make the discussion a bit more concrete, can you add your argument why it would be almost impossible?

Btw.:* I disagree with the "expanding into" part, that's neither what parallel universes are for nor is the notion true that ours needs some outside space for the perceived expansion to go into

* I'd like to add relative state "many worlds" QM to the mix
But then we wouldn't be the special little delights we think we are...

We'd be an insignificant speck.

In insisting that God existed, you'd have to question why he felt it necessary to create an infinite amount of existences when he is allegedly omniscient and omnipotent.

Surely that either suggests one of two things...

He either kept fucking it up and so he isn't perfect.

Or he just wants to watch what happens and so he possesses a hubris that renders him highly questionable.
Since christian theology is simplistic at best, the most direct solution is merely the claim that god created all those other universes too. He's just got so much love that he needed to spread it around through multiple realities. Rolleyes

Status quo is maintained, we're all still special snowflakes, etc etc.

But then, I'll actually admit that I'm a fiction writer, so coming up with an idea like that isn't too much of a stretch.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
No. God knows that the multiverse is the best way to both give the individual person effective free will while still remaining omnipotent and all-knowing because in complete control of he whole.

(March 1, 2014 at 4:40 am)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote: But then we wouldn't be the special little delights we think we are...

We'd be an insignificant speck.

In insisting that God existed, you'd have to question why he felt it necessary to create an infinite amount of existences when he is allegedly omniscient and omnipotent.

Surely that either suggests one of two things...

He either kept fucking it up and so he isn't perfect.

Or he just wants to watch what happens and so he possesses a hubris that renders him highly questionable.
"We'd be an insignificant speck. "

Tee hee.

We ARE an insignificant speck in this universe. Its just the in a mutliverse the universe itself becomes an insignificant speck, potentially.

Once you get to the level of insignificance we are at now, in the one universe we are certain exists, it doesn't really make much difference onwards from there.

For me one of the biggest weaknesses in the whole "God did if for us" bit is exactly the level of insignificance we, the human race, hold in terms of both space and time.

The only logical conclusions are that either the universe wasn't created for us or God is the least efficient designer imaginable.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Ugh double post, damn cellphones
Why not create a better single world then - just make the place what it needs to be? Why mess about? Is he the equivalent of a toddler burning ants with a spyglass?

Is he prone to mistakes? Does he lack foresight or have episodes of lesser cognitive thought?

Or does have to play by the laws of physics? Is he that weak?
(March 1, 2014 at 4:54 am)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote: Why not create a better single world then - just make the place what it needs to be? Why mess about? Is he the equivalent of a toddler burning ants with a spyglass?

Is he prone to mistakes? Does he lack foresight or have episodes of lesser cognitive thought?

Or does have to play by the laws of physics? Is he that weak?

If you were cognitively capable of inspecting multiple realities, in their entirety, without any division of your attention between them, wouldn't it follow that focusing on a single reality would get rather boring, if you're aware of the extents your consciousness could stretch to? It's not his fault that the variables of our universe turned out a planet with less than optimal settings.

Granted, that makes god a hugely detached jerk just looking for entertainment, but we already knew that just from the bible, multiverse or no. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders Data 45 1758 September 18, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5319 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2290 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88830 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  How we found out Evolution is true fredd bear 38 2737 March 26, 2019 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hey, Nobody Said It WASN'T True YahwehIsTheWay 17 2555 December 5, 2018 at 4:28 pm
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 1981 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  True Christianity Graufreud 53 4528 August 9, 2018 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Joods
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71615 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12328 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas